Strange beer allergy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting. Do you get a reaction from skin contact with unfinished oak? For example, if you lay a piece of raw oak on the inside of your forearm does it raise a welt?

I don't know; I've never tried that. The symptoms I experienced from drinking red wine aged in oak included itchy eyes, red itchy face and neck, scratchy throat and nasal congestion. The reaction I had from the Belgian was similar, however, much more severe and truly frightening.

Obviously I'll stay away from Delirium in the future and make a trip to an allergist to figure it out.

Thanks, Joan

I've lived with a lot of allergies.. shellfish, pollen, mold, dust, dander, certain seeds, vegetables, fruits, etc, so I am pretty familiar with my reactions.

I also have what seems like an allergy to belgian beers, and I'm pretty sure it's the yeast strain. I had a pretty authentic bottled saison at a brewpub recently and felt a gathering tightness in my throat and stomach... had to order a coke and stop drinking. Please note that it's not anaphylactic, because it's my esophagus that's allergic, not throat.

Recently I brewed a Petite Saison extract kit from Northern Brewer and am feeling the same reaction. So unless they put sunflower seeds in the specialty grains, it's gotta be a certain strain of yeast.

Most good commercial beers are fine. Never a problem with anything except Otter Creek. So definitely not hops, malt, or uh water... I hope this info is helpful to others.

Update: My allergist tested me for food allergies and I had a mild reaction to baker's yeast; he did not have a test for brewer's yeast. Because my most severe allergies are to mold, and with all the rain in the Mid-Atlantic region this year my allergy symptoms started earlier and are much stronger than previous years; The Dr. thought that it was most likely the high amount of yeast in the DT compounded with the early onset of my mold allergies that caused the reaction that I had. His suggestion was to stay away from the Delirium Tremens (duh), especially during my allergy season.

Little late to this thread, I gave a sour mashed saison to a friend and he had an allergic reaction. I posted about it on this forum.

I have an interesting allergy to beer and other alcoholic beverages as well, seems the more I consume my speech begins to slur and I eventually am unable to walk....it's the damnedest thing really. :p

Joking aside, allergies are serious stuff an can come on instantly and unforeseen. Much like the previous poster about the shellfish allergy, my Aunt was born and raised eating crabs (father was a waterman, they had crabs almost twice weekly) and she loved lobster and shrimp. One day in her 40's she had some crabs like any other time in her life. Luckily they had a dog at the time that required having an epi-pen handy, because within the hour, she had to use it and went to the ER swelled up and having trouble breathing. She hasn't had shellfish in over 20 years and can't even stand to have crabs steamed in the house. She also has what she believes is an allergy to sulfites as she can not drink wines. Allergies are some serious stuff and should really be checked out by the proper people. Hopefully the OP has gone to an allergist instead of trying to chance it with antihistamines.

Interesting bit on the asian flush thing, fits my wife as she gets very flushed even after drinking a 1/2 a beer.

I just found this thread whilst searching for an ale allergy. I apparently have developed something similar.

For a couple months now I've noticed a swollen soft pallet and itchiness in my throat and corners of my mouth occasionally when drinking beer. At first I assumed it was indoor dust or mites, to which I'm allergic (also allergic to mold and several other non-food allergens). But I've now narrowed it down to certain types of beer... so far confirmed: Murphy's Irish Stout (can), Boddingtons (draught), and Goose Island Christmas ale (bottle). There have been others that I suspect caused the same reaction, but those are the one I can say for sure. The only other food I'm allergic to is peach rind. And that only started several years ago (I'm now late 20s).

While I can't say for certain there isn't some lager out there that causes the same reaction, there haven't been any I've noticed. I can say that Miller Lite and Bud Light are fine. So I'm thinking it's the type of yeast. Or maybe a higher yeast content remaining in ales?

Whatever the cause, it's a shame. I love ales of all kinds and don't much care for lager.

Any recommendations for Lagers I might like?

I am not a Dr. I am not an allergist. I am not telling you that this will work for your case.

One thing that helps the wife get through high pollen/mold times is my ales. I brew special batches for her that have local, unfiltered, pure as bees made it honey. Honey has some fantastic properties. I recommend 1-2 pounds of the same kind of honey in a 5 gallon batch. If it works, then you can adjust the honey levels to where your body is telling you they need to be.

GL

Not sure if anyone is still following this, but I have had reactions very similar to that of the original poster. Once was after drinking an imported beer from Switzerland, and the other a local US craft beer. I've had both beers before without any reaction. One thing that I noticed that in each of the instances where I had a reaction it happened when I drank the beer after the recommended expiration date. It has led me to believe that it may have to do with a specific ingredient that may have a certain shelf life. I haven't been able to identify the ingredient and have asked some local brewers, but they aren't aware of it either. I haven't experienced a reaction when drinking US Big Co beers (Bud, Miller) after they've been stored for a year or two.

My wife has an allergic reaction too. Have tried to narrow down the yeast, etc. She discovered on http://www.md-health.com/Beer-Allergy.html that she may be having an allergic reaction to the chemicals we use for cleaning and sanitizing equipment, which seems to be common in home brewing. Will see if it helps to change chemicals. Hope this helps baah.

here is a story from my side

i have a allergic reaction against wallnuts
( i eat them 5 minutes later i get heavy breating problems with loud alien sounds and heavy heavy breating for about 2 hours .. then it completly disappears )

today i drink belgian blond ale http://www.kufleikapsle.pl/taps/ (13 )
i suppose its this http://beerlab.pl/#/piwo-butelka/rubio
and exactly the same symptoms

is the simple analysis the beer contains nuts ?:tank:
do i have to avoid all ( pale beers ? )

Just had a friend experience Anaphylactic shock from a Belgian Dubbel home brew.

here is a story from my side

i have a allergic reaction against wallnuts
( i eat them 5 minutes later i get heavy breating problems with loud alien sounds and heavy heavy breating for about 2 hours .. then it completly disappears )

today i drink belgian blond ale http://www.kufleikapsle.pl/taps/ (13 )
i suppose its this http://beerlab.pl/#/piwo-butelka/rubio
and exactly the same symptoms

is the simple analysis the beer contains nuts ?:tank:
do i have to avoid all ( pale beers ? )

I know this is an old post- But the more I learn about in molecular gastronomy (and the more that is learned about this, from folks like Heston Blumenthal and the folks at the Harvard Food Sciences program where a lot of ground breaking research has been done over the last few years) the more I understand that it might not be the actual INGREDIENTS that are the same.... but the similar molecular COMPOUNDS that make up the ingredients that could cause a problem.

That's how food pairing are done these days, it's on the molecular level (for example chocolate and bleu cheese may sound gross, but they found out the several compounds overlap and work amazingly well together- Heston Blumenthal's chocolate bleu cheese lava cake is amazing.)

And with fermentation a ton of compounds are produced- So that beer might not contain nuts- but that recipe, that particular yeast strain, maybe at a certain temp, or in conjunction with the sugar produced by a certain grain could produce just enough of the same compound as found in whatever nut it is, to give people problems.

It's one of those things that are so complex, and food science is only now scratching the surface on it- where I think for people who have food allergies- it's going to be a crapshoot... you're going to have to learn which beers work for you, and which don't.. it may be a style- but it may be a beer style that's brewed slightly differently (maybe different temp) by two different breweries. So for example one Leffe Blonde might be fine, while another blonde ale might be problematic.

One of my friend's breweries now brews all their beers with an enzyme (I'm drawing a blank on the name right now) that prevents people with gluten allergies from getting sick from his beers. So his IPA may be perfectly fine for someone, but the bewpub on the next block may not be...

Something to think about.

Back