Stout sparge runnings are delicious! I almost hate to ferment 'em

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finn

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna have to brew another batch of dry stout with no hops and no yeast, just for drinking like Pepsi. Seriously, after I tasted the first runnings from this batch, I was just blown away.

I'm thinking a spargeout to fill my kettle, bring it to a boil, skim off the hot break, ladle it into four dozen pint Mason jars and can it up just like that!

Hey, it sure beats the crap out of Coke. And I'm pretty sure it's good for ya.

Slán!

--Finn

I like to add it to my coffee!! I don't usually sweeten coffee, but I couldn't resist trying it. I've been hooked ever since.

TheCrane said:
I like to add it to my coffee!! I don't usually sweeten coffee, but I couldn't resist trying it. I've been hooked ever since.

Priceless.

Do I see a commercial success coming on?

TheCrane said:

That's a great idea! I wish I'd heard it before my big brew session yesterday. I bet it's delicious.

Try cooking with wort as well. Save a cup or so of first runnings and use as a marinade or glaze. I recently tried this on country style ribs (Cooked a 300 F, in ~ 1" of Pre-hops IPA). Finished under broiler with a chipotle and adobo sauce. UNBELIEVABLE!!

TheCrane said:
Try cooking with wort as well. Save a cup or so of first runnings and use as a marinade or glaze. I recently tried this on country style ribs (Cooked a 300 F, in ~ 1" of Pre-hops IPA). Finished under broiler with a chipotle and adobo sauce. UNBELIEVABLE!!

This I am going to try.

Generally I pour my hotbreak into a glass or plexi measuring cup and leave it ont he counter overnight.

Guess what I spoon carefully into my oatmeal next AM?

Ah, more excellent ideas! Thanks for opening my eyes. I'm just disappointed I hadn't thought of using tasty wort for other purposes on my own.

explosivebeer said:
Ah, more excellent ideas! Thanks for opening my eyes. I'm just disappointed I hadn't thought of using tasty wort for other purposes on my own.

Could make an interesting Martini.

I wish I had read this yesterday. I could have easily heated up an extra gallon of sparge water for some marinade and coffee "sweetner". Great idea... Thanks

korndog said:
Could make an interesting Martini.

It sounds more like you might wind up with the best Black Russian ever made. Damn, I wish I had saved more running from my oatmeal stout, although there's nothing wrong with tossing a little in with some vodka.

By the way, just yesterday, a friend gave me a tip about great a great bloody mary. There's a place in town that puts a splash of Guinness in their version, and my friend reports that just puts them through the roof.

TL

TexLaw said:
It sounds more like you might wind up with the best Black Russian ever made. Damn, I wish I had saved more running from my oatmeal stout, although there's nothing wrong with tossing a little in with some vodka.

By the way, just yesterday, a friend gave me a tip about great a great bloody mary. There's a place in town that puts a splash of Guinness in their version, and my friend reports that just puts them through the roof.

TL

They do this at a local Irish pub here in Bloomington. I'm not a huge bloody Mary fan, but it's pretty tasty I must admit...

TexLaw said:

TL

Yeah, Vodka, stout runnings, Kahlua, and fresh cream. Man, that sounds good. I think I will experiment. Nowadays, a martini can mean anything, including this baby strained into a martini glass.

Gotta try that Bloody Mary trick Tex.

TexLaw said:

By the way, just yesterday, a friend gave me a tip about great a great bloody mary. There's a place in town that puts a splash of Guinness in their version, and my friend reports that just puts them through the roof.TL

Both seem like great ideas! I'll definitely have to experiment. In fact, it's about the right time for a bloody mary. ;)

I might even leave out the Kahlua and see where the runnings get you. It might be good like that. And, leave out the cream for me, I like my Russians black. Bring on the cream for the SWMBO, though. :)

TL

TexLaw said:
I might even leave out the Kahlua and see where the runnings get you. It might be good like that. And, leave out the cream for me, I like my Russians black. Bring on the cream for the SWMBO, though. :)

TL

Yeah, I had the Kahlua out, but added it last minute. I forgot we were talking BLACK Russians here and added cream.

Back