Storing grains in the freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richbrostrom

Reaction score
I suppose this topic has been ironed out in the past but I'll readdress it.

I bought a couple batches of grain for later use since I was at the brew shop, I'm not ready to brew at this time. The grain is unmilled. I know I need to keep it dry and cool. Is the freezer a good choice?

I anticipate brewing with it in the next month or so.

Thanks, Rich

No need to take up freezer space and risk getting your grain damp.

Unmilled grain lasts for years if kept dry and cool. After all, that grain is already 6 to 8 months since harvest at least already.

What are peoples thoughts on the shelf life of milled grains?

I've read that crushed grain can be kept cool and dry in an airtight baggy for a few weeks. A few months if kept vacuum sealed in the freezer.

I'd refrigerate in a ziplock if keeping longer than say 3 weeks. (Of course I'd use the crushed grains as an excuse to brew. "But honey, I HAVE to brew! My grains are crushed and will go bad if I don't!")

Vacuum sealed and in the refridgerator if they are crushed worked for me. I had leftover specialty grains that I did not get to for 5 months. Decided to make a brown ale and use up all the leftovers. Beer ended up fine...

Ohio State University has published a fact sheet regarding grain Weevils that says keeping grain at 0*F for 4 days will kill any larvae that is in/on the grain.

Forrest has eluded to this as well.

Moisture on grain is not necessarily a bad thing either, as long as it is controlled. Moisture on the husk improves it's friability thus allowing it to split open during milling rather than shear. I am not saying that your grain should be stored wet but, many discount the idea of freezing grain due to the condensation aspect. As long as the grain is kept frozen, the condensation won't cause mold.

That said, I freeze my sacks for the 4 days and then store them at room temp in a garage in an air tight container. I have never had bugs or mold.

Back