Storage w/ Gamma Seal lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I store my bulk grain in 5-gallon buckets using Gamma Seal lids. Gamma Seals are terrific; their only negative, IMO, is the price.

As an FYI, Here's a place that has them for less, and if you could find a few people in a local homebrew club to do a group buy, you could do even better.

http://www.freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html

I have them on a bunch of buckets; I lucked into a dozen at a very, very good price a while back, so it's easier to use them.

My buckets:

buckets.jpg

It all depends on the shipping. If you are just looking for one or two. Home Depot has them for $7 or $8. They are expensive but they are easy to open as opposed to a snap on lid and will last a very long time.

They are very popular among brewers for grain storage.

I buy from that same company all the time, putting together a bulk buy in fact with me MN III% group(no we are not militia! We are a social organization willing and ready help in a disaster plus we teach self sufficiency). if we can order over 50 I can get the price down to $5.65 each...Menards has them for $6.79. I need another half dozen buckets for bulk and specialty grains. I weigh the specialty grains into 1 pound amounts and vacuum bag it. Toss it in a gamma seal bucket and no worries about bugs!

Gamma seals are incredible. My grain buckets sit outside (sorry no garage) and get exposed to a lot of heat and rain. My grains are always bone dry and relatively fresh.

I picked up some smaller (3-4) buckets from my local grocery store bakery department for free. Did a good clean on them before using any of them. Then I purchased some of the gamma lids from Home Depot (about $7) each. I can't argue for free food grade buckets even though they are not 5 gallons, but three of them will fit a 50# sack of grains. I can get about 16-18 pounds in each one. The gamma lids are awesome and I have been very happy with them. Now I just need to get a shelf in my basement to place all of my supplies instead of having them in a neat pile. ;)

I think you might even be able to get a larger number for less per piece at Home Depot. Think I remember seeing at least a 12 pk.

Funny you think they're expensive. I get mine from Home Depot for <$7 and always think how great it is that they're so cheap. I mean $9 (including bucket) to store 20+ lbs of grain is a pretty good price IMO. How many of these does one really need? I've got two for 2-Row, two for Maris Otter, and 3 for misc. specialty malts (individually bagged).

Funny you think they're expensive. I get mine from Home Depot for <$7 and always think how great it is that they're so cheap. I mean $9 (including bucket) to store 20+ lbs of grain is a pretty good price IMO. How many of these does one really need? I've got two for 2-Row, two for Maris Otter, and 3 for misc. specialty malts (individually bagged).

If you'd bought a dozen for 2.99 apiece, you'd think they were expensive at $7. :)

You're right, I guess it's relative. But even still with your scenario, I would say they're "more expensive" but still not "expensive", if you catch my drift.

:mug:

You're right, I guess it's relative. But even still with your scenario, I would say they're "more expensive" but still not "expensive", if you catch my drift.

:mug:

The whole expensive vs. not so much thing is truly all relative. I see some here who are scrimping and saving and trying to squeeze every nickel until the buffalo screams. Earlier in my life, when we had kids at home, there wasn't the disposable income that allowed me to do the things I can do now--when I'm an empty nester. I remember that I was about 38 when, for the first time, we ran out of month before we ran out of money.

Now, I have the income to do what I would never have been able to do 20 and 30 years ago.

Nonetheless, I still see a $7 Gamma Seal as expensive. I could get a normal gasketed lid for maybe $2 or $3, and it will work--it's just not as nice as a Gamma Seal lid.

Now, having said that, again it's relative. What you value, in a lid or in anything else, is your own concern, no one else's. I recently spent $61 in nuts and bolts (1000 nuts, 500 small bolts) to make some trays on which I can place cast bullets prior to powder-coating them. Many would say I'm nuts (sorry :) ), but it's a hobby and I am trying to perfect a system for doing them. Succeeded, as it turns out, after some other tries that failed.

If this brewing thing keeps going well, perhaps at some point I'll go to an electric system, perhaps with pumps and so on. When I can consistently brew great beer, maybe. I can afford to do that if I can convince SWMBO to do it--but she's pretty tolerant of my hobbies, especially those we can consume.

Hats off to those who are still scrimping to make their brew systems and recipes work. Been there, done that, I have a lot of respect for that.

I love to see the guys on here who are very thrifty. Hey it's your hobby, u do what u want with it. Nothing wrong with making it as economical as possible. I live on an island in the pacific. Every single thing I use for brewing is either scrounged (free) or bought online + shipping (pricey). Thankfully I can get a lot of buckets from local bakeries for nothing. And $7 for a gamma seal lid is a small price to pay to keep those grains sealed up tight. Lotta rain and elements at work out here. I envy you guys who can just drive to the local homebrew store and pick up a vial of yeast. Keep on brewing.

Yeah I plan out my brew sessions for 6 weeks so I can have everything ordered and on hand for the next month and maybe some extra... 250 mile round trip to the nearest brew store!

Back