stopping fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckabee1

Reaction score
Well, I thought I had read enough and understood the process. Guess not.

I began with a gallon of Whole Foods juice and a 1/5 pack of Nottingham. It fermented for a week before I racked, cold crashed, and racked again. - It's still working. The juice is way dryer now than when I first racked and I left it in the fridge for 3 days.

I just stuck an airlock on the jug and there are infrequent bubbles.

I don't know what I did wrong. :(

You didn't do anything wrong. There is still yeast and sugar in there. It will continue fermenting. That's what yeast and sugar do. Cold crashing and racking is one step in a multi-step process of halting fermentation, which can include additives like potassium metabisulfite, potassium sorbate, or include pasteurization. And if you want it carbonated, it gets even more complicated, unless you can force-carb it in a keg.

I think the idea of cold crashing to stop fermentation without any additions is that you flocculate most of the yeast, rack off it, and continue to keep it cold from then on. Warming it back up will allow the few (probably millions) remaining cells to get back to work.

yes, it will. in other words, once you cold-crash it, it has to stay cold. if you warm it up, fermentation restarts

Back