stoppers for yeast test tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwilson

Reaction score
I would like to start harvesting and freezing my yeast for later use. Many homebrew stores online sell test tubes with screw on tops for like a dollar a tube. I have found at chemistry supply stores that I can get one rack, 50 tubes, and 40 stoppers for a little over 20$. Has anyone tried with stoppers instead of screw tops? They sell rubber and cork(stopper) sets, rubber would probably be better but would it hold the seal in the freezer?

I have not tried it, but if I'm picturing this right my concern would be any pressure the yeast create would want to push that stopper right out of the test tube.

For freezing at -20C (typical home freezer), and for volumes ~10-12ml or up to 50ml (roughly the size of a White Labs vial), I would use something like this:

http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=21008-940&inE=1&highlight=21008-940

...with a screw cap.

Also...if you have a non-frost-free freezer (mouthful!) your yeast viability will be dramatically higher over time. Frost free freezers cycle the temperature to prevent frost and it's not good for the little guys.

Good luck. I wouldn't recommend rubber for a reliable seal, especially after freezing.

Back