Stoping mid fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fettersp

Reaction score
So I have some cider fermenting at yhe moment. when calculating my sugar I forgot to consider the amount of liquid in the frozen juice concentrate and ended up with 1.110 sg. Would it be possible to stop the fermentation early like around 1.03 or 1.040 so that I get some sweetness. I would be cold crashing to clear up and pasturize yo kill off yeast.

Cold crashing is your best bet to arrest fermentation, or you could add more concentrate after stabilizing.

Cold crashing is your best bet to arrest fermentation, or you could add more concentrate after stabilizing.

I dont want the 1.110 sg yo ferment all the way. That would be too much abv. I was hoping the cold crash would drop all the yeast and the pasturizing would stop all future fermentation. Idk what a good sg would be to stop at

Well I'm not sure what your plan was when you started, but it sounds like now you want a still cider around 10% ABV with FG around 1.030-1.040. Yeah?

Here's what I suggest:
  1. Let it ferment to completion.
  2. Clarify and rack.
  3. Create a juice from concentrate that is 1.110-1.130.
  4. Blend 2 parts cider with 1 part juice.
  5. Stabilize with sorbate and sulfite.

Wouldn’t you switch 4-5 around? I would stabilize/Sorbate wait a day or 2 then backsweeten

First, realize that 1.030-1.040 would be teeth gnashing sweet. Second, EC-1118 would need to be brought well below 40°F before it stops. Halting a powerful champagne yeast in its tracks is not a trivial matter. Assuming you can accomplish that by cold crashing, racking, and stabilizing, consider fermenting some straight juice (1.050, 6-1/2%) dry and using that to dilute your residual sugar level to something drinkable.

Wouldn’t you switch 4-5 around? I would stabilize/Sorbate wait a day or 2 then backsweeten
If the cider is clear and separated from the yeast it can be sweetened and stabilized at the same time. Either way is fine.
1.030-1.040 would be teeth gnashing sweet
It's proper for a faux ice cider... like this. ;)

Back