Stick On Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
I'm about to brew again this coming weekend, and I'll be using a carboy as a fermenter for the first time. When I ordered my kit, I remembered to order a carboy handle to help with moving it around, but I forgot to order an extra stick-on thermometer. Do y'all think I can successfully peel the one off of my fermenting bucket and stick it to the carboy? There are no homebrew supply stores around here, and I really don't want to pay $5.99 shipping on a $1.29 item. Have any of you moved one of these from one vessel to another? If not, do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!

I tried to unstick mine once and found it hard to peel off in the first place, then I found it wasn't very good at sticking to the new surface. If I were you I'd go ahead and risk not having the thermometer for a brew (especially if you have a temp controlled area and know the temps you've been getting there) and order a new stick on for the next time.

Just set your bucket next to your carboy. Then you'll at least know the temp of the ambient air. Too muck of a pita to try to rip the strip off. Next time you place an order, get a bunch of them. They're cheap enough, and handy to have around.

Pet supply stores have them in there aquarium department, stick on thermometer technology was barrowed from them in the first place.

Remember that you can't lift a full carboy by the handle that you tighten around the neck of the bottle.

Hey Breaux! (and all the rest of you).

Pet's R Us it is. I'll check that out some time before brewing. Right after I posted this question I told my wife I might check out some pet store aquarium departments. So, I guess I had an answer brewing in my head already. Great minds, eh?

RickWG said:
Remember that you can't lift a full carboy by the handle that you tighten around the neck of the bottle.

Yes, thank you for that reminder. My brother has told me this a couple of times. I plan to use the handle for shifting and balancing while I get it into my arms. I eventually plan to get one of those cradle sling carrier things. Since I brew downstairs and ferment upstairs, using the carboy should be a real adventure!

I have all of my carboys in milk crates. Put several layers of carboard in the crate first to absorb any shocks. It also absorbs water, etc. You'll need to change it out every so often.

I have strips on all of my containers used for fermenting. Many of them start to fall apart after a couple of years.

My tip: DO NOT remove the therm strip backing and tape it into place with scotch tape. :D Benefit: You can remove them for cleaning and place them on active fermenting containers only. ;)

I was able to remove mine and move it to another fermenter successfully. But you have to go very slowly plus it was fairly new the longer it's been in place the less likely hood of a successful transfer.

It may be possible to use a hair dryer on it to soften up the glue and remove it that way.

I'd have to agree that the best option is getting a new one at the pet store.

LouisianaVince said:
I eventually plan to get one of those cradle sling carrier things.

I would do this sooner rather than later.

the cradle sling makes it much much easier and safer to carry a carboy

Shockerengr said:
I would do this sooner rather than later.

the cradle sling makes it much much easier and safer to carry a carboy

I'll make a point of including that in my next order. I just can't do everything at once (financially).

I've noticed that brewing has made me a little stronger. I had trouble carrying and setting down a full carboy on the first batch but I barely have any trouble with it now. I just lift it from the bottom and tote it to the the bathroom for storage.

That isn't completely safe, though, I could always trip on something or have the cat run into the room at the absolute worst time.

homebrewer_99 said:
I have all of my carboys in milk crates. Put several layers of carboard in the crate first to absorb any shocks. It also absorbs water, etc. You'll need to change it out every so often.

I have strips on all of my containers used for fermenting. Many of them start to fall apart after a couple of years.

My tip: DO NOT remove the therm strip backing and tape it into place with scotch tape. :D Benefit: You can remove them for cleaning and place them on active fermenting containers only. ;)

Since we've moved on to carboys from thermometers I'll second homebewer on using milk crates as long as they are the really sturdy kind not the el cheapos.

RickWG said:
ooops...been doing that.:rolleyes: Mostly..just about 18 inches or so onto a milk crate.Must be there are a few horror stories out there I have not read about.

Back