Stepping up my game- 20 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atl_sud

Reaction score
My house brew is an American IPA that I brew in 10 gallon batches x2. My brew day takes about 8 hours from start to cleanup. Hoping to shave 3 hours by going to to 20 gallons.

Keggle hlt, blue ice cube MT, and keggle BK. I currently batch sparge.

For those who brew 20 gallon+ batches, what are some some things besides needing a larger BK and MT I need to consider. Will I need to change my sparging method to fly sparging?

Generally your burner size will dictate how fast you can brew on bigger kettles. Also consider how to chill the wort. If you using an immersion chiller now, then you might need to beef it up to a bigger coil or add a coil.

Batch sparging will work the same way.

My 50 gallon brew rig takes about 6 hours to brew on doing a batch sparge if I have all my ducks in a row.

Thanks, good to know I can still batch sparge. Was not looking forward to dial in fly sparging method.

I currently use an IC but looking to supplement it with a counterflow chiller. There is a brewer on YouTube that fabricated a straight pipe CFC out of 10 foot sections of3/4 and 1/2 copper pipe. https://youtu.be/h6G5AWrALhM

Probably not as efficient as a traditional CFC but less expensive and can clean the liquid tubes.

Back