Step-Mash for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaLaH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,

My last two IPA's came out really good - great flavor, great aroma, nice color, dry - but the mouthfeel was still too thin for my taste. To try and increase body & head retention I used 15% Flaked Wheat & 10% Flaked Oats in my grain bill. I mashed at 154 F.

I just moved to a different state so there are a few new variables for this batch. I don't have a water profile yet so I'm gonna brew with RO water and add salts as needed. I'm gonna add about 8% of CaraPils for body and am thinking of doing a step mash. Would a step mash help increase the body or would i be wasting time?

A step mash would help breakdown proteins and give more time for enzymatic conversion, I think:D. I'd expect a thinner body from that. I don't think it's a waste of time but my .02 is it's probably not what you're looking for. Are you trying to get a thick stout type body in your IPA?

A step mash would help breakdown proteins and give more time for enzymatic conversion, I think:D. I'd expect a thinner body from that. I don't think it's a waste of time but my .02 is it's probably not what you're looking for. Are you trying to get a thick stout type body in your IPA?

Not really a Stout mouthfeel but a fuller, silkier, sort of feel instead of watery. The great Northeast IPAs from Other Half, Trillium, Treehouse, etc have this pillowy mouthfeel that I'm after.

Not really a Stout mouthfeel but a fuller, silkier, sort of feel instead of watery. The great Northeast IPAs from Other Half, Trillium, Treehouse, etc have this pillowy mouthfeel that I'm after.

Oats and Wheat up to ~15%

i think that is the recommended MAX amount of flaked

15% white wheat malt instead to improve mouthfeel?

Hey M00ps, I was hoping you'd reply.

London III

Oh, thats what I was gonna recommend if you find your IPAs too thin. Without looking into your water chemistry, maybe just up the flaked ingredients?

I've used a total of 40-45% flaked wheat/oats a number of times with good results. I do what is basically a BIAB method so I don't need to worry about stuck sparges though

Some of those NE breweries are throwing flour into the recipe as well to get that look and mouthfeel.

And they pretty much all use white or red wheat.

Back