Step-by-step for using BIAB method with an Anvil Foundry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinn

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the homebrew world. I bought an Anvil Foundry 10.5 and plan to use the brew in a bag (BIAB) method. I've never used the Foundry, nor have I ever used the BIAB method.

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction of a step-by-step video, book, or blog post that I can read through in preparation for brewing my first batch. I've found a couple of videos and posts, but they're not super detailed.

I have a 10.5 Foundry. The instructions (written by John Palmer) that come with it are an excellent place to start. I found them to be pretty much spot on. IMHO, You do not need much more, it can be just that simple. If you need, you can download them from Blichmann's web site.

You can do a youtube search for helpers and hints. Maybe check out Short Circuit Brewing video(s) on the Foundry is a good place to start.

Awesome. Thanks! I didn't realize John Palmer wrote the instructions. I'll take a look at them now before the unit arrives.

Awesome. Thanks! I didn't realize John Palmer wrote the instructions. I'll take a look at them now before the unit arrives.

For your first batch on the new rig, it makes for a simple brew day. I suggest you take the hit on slightly lower efficiency and employ the no sparge method.

I have a 10.5 Foundry. The instructions (written by John Palmer) that come with it are an excellent place to start. I found them to be pretty much spot on. IMHO, You do not need much more, it can be just that simple. If you need, you can download them from Blichmann's web site.

You can do a youtube search for helpers and hints. Maybe check out Short Circuit Brewing video(s) on the Foundry is a good place to start.

Spoiler alert... Myself and John Blichmann wrote them. Palmer and Blichmann formulated the minerals table though... which is a brilliant and un-sung work.

Put 8.5 gallons of water in, drop the basket in, heat to 160F. Drop the temp setting to 153F and stir the grain in. Stir the grain every 15 minutes. After 60 minutes pull the basket up and lock it in place over the boiler. Set the temp to 220F. Remove the basket when the boiler is approaching 200F (about 45 minutes).

That's it.

Have you done all grain at all? If so, BIAB is the same thing except you can mill your grain finer if you use a bag inside the grain pipe (if you get from a shop, have it double milled). If you just use the grain pipe, then don't double crush. Besides that is that you add all the water at the beginning instead of having a mash and a sparge. As for the Foundry, if you are on Facebook, join the Foundry user group, plenty of experts on there, and they have a "primer" that answers most of the newbie questions pinned to their page.

Latest posts

Back