Step 1 of the Keezer build. Still have all the Oak trim to complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seafoxskipper

Reaction score
IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2930.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2943.JPG IMG_2945.JPG

I really didn’t like the look of a tower at the time but hindsight being what it is I now wonder if that might have been a better option given the weight of the collar. I have purchased some gas struts to have a lift assist which should address the issue. Now I just need to get the geometry correct, not my forte.

How long are the struts? What I do is temp mount(duct tape is your friend here!) them the closed distance from the hinge side minus an inch or so then extend the strut and open the lid. See if the geometry looks like it will push the lid open then mark the top where the top of the strut looks good. May have to move the bottom in or out a bit to make it look good...

@MaryB They are 14 inches in the open position. I am not sure I quite understand where you are suggesting I mount them? My uneducated thought was to mount them on the sides of inner collar walls to the top edge of the keezer itself onto wood standoff blocks. I have to account for the thickness of the keezer vs the collar. The standoffs have to be 1 1/2 inch, I think. The inner distance of the collar front to back is about 18 1/2 inches. Hell its confusing lol

When closed the strut has to be mounted the length of the strut from the back wall(with a strut with a mount at the top, otherwise that is where the top of the strut should land and your mount is down in the keezer...). When closed that puts the top right at the collar top for the bracket for the lid... When extended open the lid and move the lid mount to where the strut is fully extended and look at the angle, you want about 45 degrees or so. If it is less move the bottom mount out towards the back of the collar, If it is more then move it in towards the front of the collar... One of those play with it until it looks good things... long as you get full extension it will work. Picture the angle between the collar and the strut fully extended, that should be about 45 degrees give or take to make it function the best. more is better than less than 45 because you lose lifting capacity...

Hard to explain without pics lol but I have built several mounts to move antennas, car doors and trunks etc with electric actuators and you learn quick what works.

@MaryB thank you I think I understand what you are saying. The difficult part is the mounting and the ability to see the geometry once in the closed position.IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3027.JPG

Back