Steeping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrekfx

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I use to brew years ago and just getting back in it, but done mostly all grain then.. Doing an extract this morning and was wondering when I steep my specialty grains, do I steep in the full boil amount or only like half that and top off with more water before boil.. Going to do a full boil..

if it is specialty grains and no base malts it will not make a difference. I would just do it in the full boil.

if it is specialty grains and no base malts it will not make a difference. I would just do it in the full boil.

I guess I shouldn't say speciality grains per say, it's 2row and flaked wheat that will be steeped.

if you are using 2 row then I would say half the volume, you will need sugar conversion for that and will need the extra volume to rinse out the grains.

I guess I shouldn't say speciality grains per say, it's 2row and flaked wheat that will be steeped.

This would be a partial mash. The 2 row will convert the starches in the flaked wheat. Use approximately 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. If this is a wheat beer, I would mash at 152° to 154° F to maintain body in the beer and a little sweetness.

Ok so in a sense with this, boil for 30 mins, then rinse with like 150F water like I kind of would with all grain just to get the extra sugar out of the two row?

on a smaller scale yes, the extract will give you the rest of the sugar you need to reach you target OG.

Ok so in a sense with this, boil for 30 mins, then rinse with like 150F water like I kind of would with all grain just to get the extra sugar out of the two row?

Hold the 152° to 154° for 60 minutes, sparge with 168° water. Remove the grains, bring the full volume in your kettle to a boil and add extracts. Might want to add some extract late to keep the color of your beer lighter.

You will want to remove the grains before the boil. Once the temperature gets to about 160°F there can be significant tannin extraction, especially if your pH is high.

if you go to boil, you'll denature the enzymes you want to do the conversion, I thought

Back