STC 1000 Compressor delay (Ovoid damaging compressor)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2brew559

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :ban:

I just had my old freezer converted to ferment chamber die..I think the compressor died.

I just bought a new 19.7 cu. ft Kenmore elite chest freezer and i don't want to burn it out by cycling the compressor on and off
(had the temperature probe taped to side of bucket with thick layer of bubble wrap)

STC1000 on old stand up freezer
F1 temperature set point:19.2C = 66.56F
F2 Temperature Differential: .5C DEFAULT
F3 Compressor delay: 3mins default
F4 DEFAULT: 0

My concern/ fear is burning out my new kenmore elite 19.7 cu ft chest freezer.

what setting do you guys recommend to ovoid cycling/ working the freezer hard?

These are the setting that i'm thinking about

STC1000 on new Chest freezer 19.7cu ft. Kenmore elite
F1- TEMP: 19.2C / 66.56 F (EXAMPLE)
F2 differential: .5c default. Increase this to 1.0 .
If I'm understanding, this setting value represents 33.8C or 1.8 degrees difference from freezing 32F
So then my differential would be (1.8 degrees) above 66.56F

F3 compressor delay: 3mins default... Thinking 10 min delay between cycles to help compressor

what are your settings to preserve your ferment chamber equipment/ compressor? :drunk:

I have my temp differential at .5, and the compressor delay at the maxed out 10 minutes.

That's a big freezer, hopefully you've got a relay in between the freezer and the STC-1000

I have the temp differential at .5 because .5 is nearly 1 degree Fahrenheit. So far it's been working well, as the 10 minute compressor delay prevents over-cycling the cooling.

I have the temp differential at .5 because .5 is nearly 1 degree Fahrenheit. So far it's been working well, as the 10 minute compressor delay prevents over-cycling the cooling.

Thanks to everyone who responded.. Gracias!!!!!

Adding this: (between the freezer and the temp controller)
SSR-25 DA Solid State Relay For Temperature Controller 25A 24V-380V Convenient From ebay

My research shows some people/ setups have the dc version to control fans and stuff.. Do you guys suggest this or keep it simple and just use the AC in and AC out SSR relay?

Pluses of going DC relay + inverter route with fans inside new freezer?
move the cold ambient air around.. would this benefit be negligible in a chest freezer?

Thinking of adding extra board insulation to inside of unit not outside... to keep it very cool and more efficient.. Lowes has the rigidinsulation pretty cheap: 4x8 sheet of .75 thick insulation minimal cost $

Location of new freezer/ ferment chamber: Garage

Im in central ca were temps can get easy 105F dry heat outside during summer... garage has side door and I keep that door open to vent heat out of garage and has a slider window too....id say garage in full heat of day gets around 90 maybe + or minus.. that's with garage main door down

is this overkill?

:confused::drunk:

Sorry to raise a dead thread here, but why are you using a relay? I would think the STC is capable of handling this.. Is there a safety issue I need to know for my own set up?

Back