Starting with a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylock

Reaction score
Howdy, first post.

I just picked up supplied at the LHBS and picked up a ingredients kit to get started. The instructions call to only boil 1.5 gallons, if I have the means to do a full boil, would this effect anything? For example it states to add the hops at the beginning (it is only one hop addition) of the 60 minute boil.

Btw its a Scotch Ale.

I can get started once I pick up some last supplies, apparently large funnels are hard to come by, and when you ask people they give you that look like you are going to make a beer bong :)

If you're going to do a full boil scaled up from a recipe that calls for a 1.5 gallon boil, you're going to want to decrease the hops you use by about 15%. Doing full boils results in increased hop utilization, so you have to trim down the hops if you want to stay accurate to the recipe.

As for the funnel, if you don't need it right away, you can just order it online.

With the exception of scaling down the hops, can i still use the same amount of extract? (2# light dry malt extract, 1# crystal, 1# brown sugar)

Yes. The only thing you need to adjust is the hops, and your method of cooling wort. 5 boiling gallons isn't going to chill down quickly with just an ice bath.

Latest posts

Back