Starting my eHERMS HLT build tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
I finally have enough parts in to get started on my eHERMS HLT.

I am using a 62Qt SS kettle, a pile of weldless fittings, and a stainless coil. It will have a 4500watt 240volt heating element and be controlled with a temp controller/SSR.

Tomorrow I start drilling holes in the SS. With a little luck I'll get all the holes in during my allotted time and be able to assemble and test for leaks.

Next week I'll be on to the electric circuit etc.

Pictures and updates will come. :)

I'm going manual with everything except the temp control for now. I figure that works for my way of things... in the future who knows.. perhaps a BCSXXX with motorized everything is an eventuality but for now eHERMS HLT will be a great start. After that I'll figure my next improvement... 1 step at a time. Pics will come when available... so for I have only a couple of holes drilled. (I had to go out for lunch with beers... and got stuck at the bar. lol)

Finally making progress. I had some issues with how my coil meshed up bit worked it out with some tubing. I still need to put in my 240v circuit in the garage but I have tested and there appear to be no leaks. It will probably be another week or two before it is ready for a full run through. I know the "stand" is all ghetto but cement block is cheap and works well.

558615_10150874045957299_629142298_9381299_672516480_n.jpg

398237_10150874050992299_629142298_9381309_1297161142_n.jpg

Finally going to get to brew with it tomorrow. I did some tests over the last week and I am getting a little over 2 deg F per minute increase in temp for 14G water with a 4500watt element. Does this seem right?

Everything seem to recirculate just fine and I have a nice big starter spinning getting ready. :)

Latest posts

Back