Starting Lemon Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbkid

Reaction score
I've made plenty of wine in the past, never one as acidic as lemon wine however, where yeast might be hard to get going. I let my yeast multiply in a bowl of sugar water for about 6 hours yesterday, then added that to about 4 gallons of water+8.4 lbs sugar. I added 32 oz of lemon juice, with plans to add about 80 more over the next 2 days, but this morning there was little if no yeast action. Any way to jump start it if there is still no bubbling when I get back today?

Look up "skeeter pee" - it's basically lemon wine like you describe and has yeast and nutrient recommendations

Actually based on that recipe! I just started it a bit different, thinking I could get the bulk going then add in the lemon juice once 4 gallons of must were up. Now just wondering if there is a way I can save the must if it doesn't start fermenting!

Yep, I used neutrient and energizer in mine, I started with 64 oz. of lemon juice and 8 pounds of sugar. I used EC1118 yeast. Didn't make a starter but I did rehydrate.
I used the skeeter Pee recipe

Thanks for the help! Got home the first day, slwoyl bubbling (maybe 1 every 5 seconds, later that night up to 1 every 2 or so, so I dumped in bottle #2 of lemon juice, still going steadily, gonna add in rest tonight!

Back