starting gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookedibrews

Reaction score
well i tried a new recipe out. the starting gravity should have been 1.014 but it turned out to be 1.060. How does one control the starting gravity? im a beginner and i would like to better understand this.

I think 1.014 is your final gravity...ie. the gravity the beer should be after fermenting completely...If your starting gravity is 1.060, Id say your probably right on target

crookedibrews said:
well i tried a new recipe out. the starting gravity should have been 1.014 but it turned out to be 1.060. How does one control the starting gravity? im a beginner and i would like to better understand this.

You're fine. Spot on. 1060 is a good SG. If you have a recipe that has 1014 SG, it must be near beer, or a misprint of final gravity.

BTW, what's the recipe, ie, give us more info.

yea it wasnt a typo it was me miss reading it. the final gravity was 1.014 starting gravity was 1.055-1.060 thanks tho

Hey, if the worst mistake you ever make is to mis-read the specs of a recipe - you're way ahead of me!

Enjoy the beer, I'm sure you will love it.

Back