Starter without DME/LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMyers

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Quick question, I don't believe I have access to any DME/LME for a starter. I meant to pick some up yesterday in another city but I forgot. I planned to check the local shop after work but they offer next to nothing.

I think I have three options for the starter for my ~ 1.060 SG Ruthless Rye Clone:

1. Pitch the White labs vial directly.

2. Mini mash with specialty grains (I don't have access to 2 row, so it would be a random assortment of grains with varying diastic power. Best I can remember is that I have Vienna, possibly victory).

3. The LHBS sells pre hopped beer kits (muntons, etc), So I was thinking I could dilute a light ale/lager kit to 1.040 and use that. (possibly can the remaining for further starters).

Any idea what might be the best option?

Thanks

I'd make a big mini mash with that Vienna and set some aside in the freezer for future starters.

I would make the starter with LME. The LME being hopped will not make any difference in the viability of the yeast propagated.
Main reason for using the LME is the known amount of sugar in LME. One pound of LME will give you 36 to 37 Points Per Gallon. This can be broken down too how many ounces you will need for a quart or quart and a half starter volume.

Make a small volume beer with the left over LME instead of trying to save it.

Your LHBS doesn't have 2-Row or DME/LME?!? That's crazy how do they stay in business? I can't imagine a LHBS getting by only selling kits... Wow I'm glad I have 2 great LHBS near by

If you have a Hispanic grocery or a grocery with a lot of ethnic stuff you could try to make a starter with malta goya. I've never done it but it apparently can be done. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/just-made-starter-goya-malta-85681/

0003068430877_500X500.jpg

You could try this http://www.toyainternational.com/product_details.php?id=159
I assume it is the same thing. This store is in NL i don't know how close it is to you but they have Goya products on their website so maybe they have it but it isn't on the website

Well thanks for the quick response everyone.
Unfortunately for me, Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada... does not have the market required for an adequately stocked LBHS. :( And we also do not have any hispanic grocers...haha. I'm originally from our capital (St. John's ~8 hours away) so I'm used to having a decent shop close by. I'll just have to plan better in the future.
The pre hopped beer kit will certainly be the easiest so I'll go with that option rather than a mini mash.

Thanks

I sometimes find Malta Goya in the international foods aisle at grocery stores in Ontario. I have never bought it for anything besides feeding yeast, it definitely works.

Is it possible to pick up another vial or two of the same yeast and pitch them all? More expensive than making a starter but not as much time involved.

dude..you mentioned your estimated OG is just .06?? Just throw the vial in by itself. your finished beer will come out just fine, I doubt you will even notice it. Now if you take attenuation readings and use a microscope you will see that you didnt get the work you wanted from the yeast do to under pitching, but it will still come out very close to what your beer would of come out with a starter...next time just have some DME handy, this time tho, just pitch the vial.

Back