Started new wine out of yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gconcon

Reaction score
I started another batch of wine and my local distributor is out of yeast. I ordered more but it will a few days. Can I leave the pulp in the primary (for how long) while I wait for the yeast?

If you used grapes, there might be naturally occurring yeast on the skins, which may start fermentation on its own. That is also a possibility with any actual fruit (as opposed to canned, or treated), but to a lesser extent.

If you used canned or otherwise "ready to go" fruit, it likely has no natural yeasts in there. If you're going to wait for the specific yeast to arrive, put your primary, sealed, in the refrigerator. It will help prevent mold, bacteria, and other nasties from growing while you're waiting. Then, before adding your yeast, be sure to let the batch warm up to room temperature before adding the yeast.

Also, you can use literally any yeast to start fermentation. Each yeast behaves differently, and can add different tastes, ferment faster/slower, etc. but yeast is yeast. It will eat sugar and make alcohol. If you are really worried about a late start, you can even use bread yeast.

You thank you for your input. Your knowledge helps me and I will follow your idea to put the pear pulp into the fridge until I get the yeast. I am so appreciative for your reply.

If you juiced/ground whole pears there should be enough natural yeast on the skins to start fermentation.

Back