Start to finish--how long is your typical brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically around five hours I would say, though I had an absolutely awful brew day this weekend and it took about eight and a half.

4 hours start to finish.

Bucket heater is going when I wake up in the morning, so I just roll out of bed and start my mash (usually a little stirring to bring the temp down a few degress b/c the bucket heater works so well). Then a 45 min mash, batch sparge, 60 min boil, immersion chiller, and then clean up. It would probably be less if I had a hose to help clean up, but 4 hours is pretty good, no stress at all.

2.5G All-Grain took about 6 hours this morning. Started at 7am, finished around 1pm. If I had something better than my stovetop, it would probably cut an hour off that time. Extra time waiting to get started mashing and getting to a boil.

fired up the mlt and hlt at 9 ish, did a 10g batch of ipa and kegged 2-5g batches.
shut the pressure washer off at 2:45
dropped my glasses in the boil kettle at 60 min (they are real clean and have a slight hint of Amarillo

AG usually takes about 5 hours from when I start setting up to when I finish cleaning up.

5.5 hrs for a single 10 gal brewday.
8.5 hrs for a double 10 gal brewday.

I hold pretty close to the graph below.

Brew_Day_Timeline1.png

6.5 hours but that is with a 2.5 hr mash in. I need to buy some iodine so i can do a starch test so i can cut that time.

6.5 hours but that is with a 2.5 hr mash in. I need to buy some iodine so i can do a starch test so i can cut that time.

Just check your pH and temperature. As long as they're both within pretty wide ranges you'll get conversion in a normal amount of time, like 30-60 minutes. Starch testing with iodine isn't all that reliable IME.

What kind of attenuation levels do you get from those mashes?

I stopped by the LHBS yesterday and he had just stocked a new style of kit that could make for about a 1 hour brew day.
He said it was fully prepared wort, just add water to 5 gallons and yeast!:drunk:
I'm all for the ease and simplicity of extract brewing, but that is a little too simple.
Granted he only had three of them, but still...

Just check your pH and temperature. As long as they're both within pretty wide ranges you'll get conversion in a normal amount of time, like 30-60 minutes. Starch testing with iodine isn't all that reliable IME.

What kind of attenuation levels do you get from those mashes?

my usual attenuation has been pretty good, above 86%

5-6 hours, depending on how hard I push it.

This. I do 14 gal batches and fly sparge, with pump-assisted CFC and whirlpool. I also save time by getting mash and sparge water out of my tankless hot water heater within 5 degrees of target temp, so I save a lot of time heating those additions from normal temps. If I had a heat stick to help boost my kettle for boiling or a second burner to start heating the kettle while still finishing the sparge I would probably be able to cut another ~30 min off.

About 4.5 to 5 hours for me doing AG, batch sparging and a 60 min boil. I've got my system down when but when i first started, and had some problems and my day was around 6 to 7 hours. Now that I've got my routine down, I can can clean or keg while the mash or boil is taking place.

I haven't really gotten comfortable brewing in my new house yet. All my brewing stuff is strewn all over the place and there's lots of little things that seem to take way longer now.

Last weekend my first AG batch in a month or two took something like 6 hours start to finish, maybe longer. Yesterday I did an extract batch and that still took something like 4-5 hours, and that was using a plate chiller so my chilling only took something like 15 minutes. I think part of it is that hauling stuff from the garage all the way to my back yard is an arduous process, and even if I don't forget anything it takes a few trips. And I always forget something. Or two or three things.

I'm doing a witbier next weekend, and I think I will crush the grain on the day before so that I don't spaz out and forget like I did on my last two batches, then have to sit down while my water is at temp and hand crank it through a mill, then reheat the water because it took 10 minutes of cursing to get the grain crushed...

My most recent extract brew day was 3.5-4 hours. I could cut that time down alot if I had a wort chiller and a better burning setup.

I'm down to 4 hours. I do the no-mash-out-single-batch-sparge method. Two burners on my rig so I can start heating wort as its going into brew kettle. I'm usually starting the boil at the 2-hour mark. I do 75 min boils. Now I have a CFC chiller which reduced my cooling time since my IC was under-sized. I clean up as much as possible along the way.

Great thread.
My AG brew day is 4 to 4.5 hours.

That's not counting full set up n clean up. My set up includes collecting RO water and my clean up is usually abbreviated to just soak it overnight n finish up the next day or the following.

The 4 hours does include back flushing the heat exchanger though. If I'm honest and include all the set up and clean up after-wards I'm closer to 5 hours.

The Dudadiesel 30 plate chiller has me excited to brew again..blows the Shirron away...literally from boiling to fermenter in 10 minutes...love it.

I just did 11 gal of brown ale in 4.5 hours, including crushing the grain and cleanup, but I multitask. Figure 15 min to hit strike temp, 1 hr mash, 1 hr sparge, 1 hr boil, 30 min total cooling, and 15 mins to clean the kettle and put it away. Not really sure where that other 30 mins goes, probably time warping...

Updating for my previous post, now that I have a propane burner.

Extract with steep takes 2 1/2 hours, from setup to cleanup.

All grain depends on mash time, usually 4 1/2 hours.

I have really streamlined the process, as I do a lot of prep work while the water is heating, making sure my batch sparge water is ready when the mash is done, and cleaning up as I go. I don't rush, but I like it to not take terribly long.

Yesterday, extract with steep about the same as Tall Yotie about 2.5 - 3 hours, start-up to clean-up.

I can do an all grain brew in 5 hours if I have it uninterrupted which is rare. A lot of times I'm cooking dinner or something while I'm mashing or the wife needs something done and it cant wait (can it ever?). I had to cook dinner during the making of my IPA last week, it's hard to schedule BBQ chicken in while you're mashing and trying to get things perfect while heating your sparge water and cleaning and sanitizing your carboys and cooking veggies on the side grill burner. Took me about 6.5 hours last week. Pity I dont have any hair to pull out or I would have.

I don't know how you all get finished so fast.

Not including yeast starter prep a few days prior or the time it takes to weigh/condition/mill the grain the night before, it takes me 9 hours for 12 gallons of a standard Pale Ale. This is from the time I set-up the HLT to the time the last hose is cleaned and the yeast has been pitched. Yesterday was 6:30am to 4pm (30 additional minutes for a hop steep after boil).

I assemble the MLT and Boil Kettle while the HLT is heating up, measure kettle additions during the mash, clean the grant and MLT during the boil, recirc oxiclean through the chiller during post-chilling activities, etc.
I'd love cut it down to 6 hours.

somehow i walked away with a 3.5 hour all-grain brew from dough-in to cleanup last weekend.

usually its closer to 5.

Back