StarSan ruined my beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wet sanitize bottles with Star San and never, ever rinse them, and I've never experienced an off flavor. As everyone else is saying, it's not the Star San. My guess would be water first, then maybe fermentation issues.

Lots of good advice/perspectives on this. I have foam all the time with starsan....... no problems.
It was mentioned at least once, but I will second it - Hops. For whatever reason, and I don't know why, if I use a fairly high percentage of Centennial hops........ the beer has a "soapy" flavor to me. Generally, only with Centennial, and only if I am using 3 ounces or more in the beer.
A possible additional variable for some people.

Ok tell me if this makes sense.. I went and got myself a beer filter and filtered both beers and that took care of the weird taste. I filtered with 5 microns and the beer taste delicious.

Ok tell me if this makes sense.. I went and got myself a beer filter and filtered both beers and that took care of the weird taste. I filtered with 5 microns and the beer taste delicious.

Sounds like a fermentation problem then, either low pitch rate causing stressed yeast or to high of fermentation temperatures. Or both.

Why are you guys sanitizing your chillers right before you dunk them in boiling-hot liquid?

It's really not a sanitizing step, but more like giving the copper a quick rinse with acid to clean off any corrosion from the coil. A vinegar or StarSan rinse gives me a nice bright coil to go into the pot.

bosco

^ Exactly.

If an IC goes in the BK dark and comes out bright, where did all the dark stuff go?

In the beer.

No thank you!

Cheers!

In my opinion I think as a courtesy to the hard-working people at Starsan, threads like this generally should be titled something like:

"Starsan may have ruined my beers"

or

"Did Starsan ruin my beers?"

I remember sanitizing my carboy with about a gallon star sans. Forgot to empty the star sans and started filling the carboy with cooled wort. At the same time wondering why it was foaming over as I'm filling the carboy. Oh **** forgot to empty the star sans. It was a pale ale. Turned out excellent. A bjcp judge said it was a good beer and he didn't notice it had a gallon of star san in it. It is a yeast nutrient.

Back