Star San film/residue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippoBrewery

Reaction score
Hey, I just recently switched to using Star San as my sanitizer instead of iodophor. On the only 2 batches of using Star San I've noticed a clear film that covers the top of the wort after fermentation has begun. Most resources say that this is probably contamination (Lactobacillus...) but the beer seems to taste okay and I have no weird odors. Is this film from the Star San? I've never had contamination issues before, just perplexed by this!

Is it like an oil slick looking film? I've had that occasionally and typically get it if I don't rinse my carboy well enough with hot water before usingthe star san. It's not contamination

StarSan does not leave a residue if you are using it in proper concentrations.

Most common infections, including Lactobacillus, do start as a slight film, but it would be an ironic and weird coincidence if you started getting infections after you started using StarSan!

Like one other poster stated, not rinsing cleaner enough could also leave a film.

I have definitely seen a slight film from Starsan sitting in something overnight. I use the proper conentration too. I use 1oz to 5/6 gallons I always try and shake the crap out of whatever the starsan is leaving. That seems to help. Also if it does stay behind (really bad in corny kegs) then go ahead and do a very quick rinse on it and mix it around upon dispense.

Thanks guys! I just kegged an IPA that I cold crashed and got rid of this film, and it tastes delicious. I am using the proper concentration, I think maybe its just some sort of residue from the Sanstar. The guy at my local brew store told me that a 5 gallon bucket of San Star foam produces the same amount of phosphoric acid as a can of Pepsi, so I'm not gonna worry here!

Latest posts

Back