stainless steel pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, for beginners I recommend a 10G aluminum- cheap, works well, and can be used for years. Season it by boiling in it for an hour before your first brew, clean it gently, and you're fine.

Even a 30 minute boil on aluminum is good. But an hour might make the oxidation coating thicker. I use stainless steel myself since the begining.

I mostly use the Graniteware enameled pots. Super cheap and sturdy. I also have and use the aluminum that came with my turkey fryer burner.
I have 16 qt, 33 qt, 30 qt and 20 (I think) gallon pots.
Maybe one day I'll upgrade to SS with all the bells and whistles, but what I have now works well.

The 5 gallon (20qt) SS kettle I use was part of a poilished nested set of 4 with lids & steamer trays for some $25 at Giant Eagle a couple years ago. No bells & whistles installed like blichman's. works fine with a paint strainer bag,cake cooling rack & floating thermometer.

In any case, have fun this weekend with your first brew!!! Get all your equipment organized ahead of time, make a checklist, walk through the entire process before you start to make sure you're not overlooking anything.

Don't drink too much while brewing until you get your process down ;)

Back