Stainless Steel Perforated Sheet for Blichmann?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northhouguy

Reaction score
Last weekend I made my second all grain batch using my 10 gal Blichmann Boilermaker. I boiled the wort and pitched the leaf hops. Half way through the boil the sight glass clogged up with hops and no longer worked. After the boil I used my immersion cooler to get to pitching temperature. When I tried to run off into the fermenter I couldn't even get a trickle out of the outlet valve. The dip tube was clogged solid with hops.

I ended up pouring the wort through a colander to catch the spent hops. Not an ideal way to transfer, that's for sure.

Blichmann says not to use their false bottom while boiling because it wiil cause scorched wort. So, I'm thinking, a piece of stainless steel perforated sheet, same diameter as the false bottom but with 1/8th or 1/4 inch holes. If I were to do this would I have a scorched wort problem? Is there someone out there already making this modification for purchase?

I used hop bags my first brew, but would like to be able to just chuck loose hops into the kettle. I don't want to use Blichmann's hop blocker because it will interfere with my immersion chiller.

Has anyone done a perforated sheet hop strainer? What are the pros and cons of perforated sheet? Thanks in advance.

Back