• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stainless steel brewing rig, very unique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byou3g

Reaction score
I am not sure I have ever seen something like this on here before. I combined three commercial stockpot stoves with 16" 150,000 btu, low pressure, multi-ring burners to make a basis for a brewing rig. Each burner has separate controls for it so it so you can run either independently or both at the same time. The pilot light is stainless steel, is adjustable, and works for both rings. The absolute enormous cast iron burners are about as big as the bottom of a keg, so there is no chance for heat dispersion problems. The split burners are super useful for gentle heating of more delicate stuff or full bore quick boil situations. The grates are cast iron and are bomb proof. They are painted with grill paint to avoid rust (for cosmetic reasons). They can fit kegs on them with a lot of room to spare. We have had even had 25 gallon pots on it and they fit well.

I used heavy aluminum c channel and industrial casters to make the rig mobile. I used it in its current form, but it is ready for automation should you choose to go that route. The two love controllers are brand new (never used) and come with brand new probes. I never saw the need to fully automate. Each stove has a separate propane hookup with its own high flow regulator, so using three separate propane tanks is an option or one large one can be used as well. I personally like having three so if one runs out, it is an easy swap without effecting the other burners.

So to avoid obvious questions... yes it is incredibly heavy and would have to ship freight. I used it for 12 brew days and it is super clean. It cost over 2k in materials to build. Your pump of choice and even a Blichman chiller will fit below the burners on the shelf and mount easily using outdoor double sided tape or bolts if you wanted to drill mounting holes 9these items are not included). I am selling because I am in medical school and have no time in the foreseeable future to brew. I am in East Lansing, Mi (MSU) and would welcome local pickup. If you want to have it shipped, you will have to arrange pickup from Rochester Hills, Mi (it is a company, so the freight will be cheaper) and I will provide the pallet. I am asking $1200.00 and accept Paypal. Freight is on you if you don't pick it up. Yes, that is Coors Light in the picture... it belongs to a college buddy. Email is the most efficient communication form. [email protected]

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (5).jpg

image (3).jpg

Is that $1200 shipped? what else can you tell me about these, does each burner have its own propane tank? whats with the 2 knobs? and how does the digital thermometer come into play?

Each knob controls one burner area. The inner two rings are on one knob, and the outer ring in on the other knob. The Love controllers only measure temperature at this point, but could be set up to control the burners with some red hat valves.

Currently, each burner runs off a propane tank. That could be easily changed if you had a splitter, though. I liked having the three tanks better than a single, though. It made for a more flexible setup. For some brews, like extracts, I only used one burner, so i would just use one small tank. Despite the size of the rig, it really didn't take a lot of propane to run it. Maybe three brew days to one full tank.

The 1200 did not include shipping.

that looks like the beginnings of an absolutely amazing automated rig.....I wish i was in your area and didnt just build my own rig this year...

I was looking at something like this that would work for natural gas. I figured I'd ask if they're convertible, but they might be a bit out of my range. (No pun intended!)

Yeah, i was on the automation track. As it turned out, I was able to be extremely consistent without automation and really manual operation of the controls was nbd. I sort of liked not having it be automatic and it made me pay more attention to what I was doing. I agree it would be awesome for automation. All the heavy fabrication work is done.

I was looking at something like this that would work for natural gas. I figured I'd ask if they're convertible, but they might be a bit out of my range. (No pun intended!)

oh yeah, it does work with natural gas, if you buy a set of jets. I actually had to convert it over to propane when I got the stoves but unfortunately lost the natural gas jets. I'm pretty sure they are like $12 for the set of three, though.

Boo puns!

btw, i will be going to Columbus, Ohio this weekend and to Iowa City, Iowa in a few weeks so if anyone is along those routes we could meet up. I travel with the football team occasionally.

Hehehe. What's the edge to edge dimensions of 1 burner? I'm keeping an eye open for something that'll hold my 55 gallon pots (I think they're 24").

Just curious what kind of burners you used on this? Is the plumbing 1/2", 3/8" or other on the gas lines? I'm looking to replace mine and those look bad ass

I will have to measure the grates over the burner. I will also measure the plumbing. I am at the library right now so I'll get back to you on that. The burners themselves came with the stockpot stoves and are not available separately, from what I gather.

Update: the grates are 18" x 18"

I have had some interest, but the shipping is proving to be difficult to quote. To simplify things, 1200 shipped to the states, except alaska and Hawaii.

Man I'm torn between if I want this or to go electric...

Tell me did these come from a company? I saw one like them in a Hilton hotel kitchen and made me think of yours again.

Back