Stainless shiny vs satin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha! Sounds like marketing fluff to us. Go ask a company that actually has a production facility and makes tanks for brewing, food and pharma what type of polish is easiest to clean and even required in some applications.

(Answer: it’s not a “sleek brushed finish”)

I worked in a food pasteurization facility for a few years. Everything there was brushed.
My Blichmann kettles from 2015 look the same as when they were new. My fermenter from you guys, not so much. So which take is marketing fluff?
Btw- my liver is still going, so that saying may not be the best either.

It absolutely is not.
Not sure what happened to yours but I've been fermenting in a Chapman fermenter and it's made from 201 type stainless steel. Ciders, beers, seltzers, wines - I've used and abused this fermenter and I've always been able to return it to its original lustre with a little elbow grease. No rust either BTW. I feel for you. Its gotta hurt to spend that much on a piece of equipment and feel Like you've received an inferior product.

I worked in a food pasteurization facility for a few years. Everything there was brushed.
My Blichmann kettles from 2015 look the same as when they were new. My fermenter from you guys, not so much. So which take is marketing fluff?
Btw- my liver is still going, so that saying may not be the best either.

You sound quite upset about this situation. Have you reached out to our customer support? I'm sure they would send out a new lid for you tomorrow if you just asked politely.

I can tell you we've sold 1,000's of Flex's and we've never seen this happen before. We test our material to ensure it's 304 stainless so to accuse us of using inferior grades of material is a little aggressive unless you have some actual evidence to back that up. Many people read things on the internet and take them as bible. If you're going to make an accusation we'd just ask that you back it up. The reason we asked about bleach or cider is because those can etch/pitch stainless if they sit in contact with it long enough. You say you have a Blichmann kettle however you're not fermenting your cider in there for weeks on end.

You sound quite upset about this situation. Have you reached out to our customer support? I'm sure they would send out a new lid for you tomorrow if you just asked politely.

I can tell you we've sold 1,000's of Flex's and we've never seen this happen before. We test our material to ensure it's 304 stainless so to accuse us of using inferior grades of material is a little aggressive unless you have some actual evidence to back that up. Many people read things on the internet and take them as bible. If you're going to make an accusation we'd just ask that you back it up. The reason we asked about bleach or cider is because those can etch/pitch stainless if they sit in contact with it long enough. You say you have a Blichmann kettle however you're not fermenting your cider in there for weeks on end.

I went back and forth with customer care over a year ago. Probably a dozen emails, and all the bkf cleanings. I was told “it should be fine”. Nothing was done, and no solution or fix was offered. There is nothing on your site about not fermenting cider, in fact, before I purchased, I called and asked specifically about it.
So hear I sit with a piece of equipment that bums me out every time I use it. I can’t sell it, cause it looks terrible. Good to know it doesn’t happen to anyone else. I guess it’s just me. That makes me feel better.

Last edited:
All of this is really off topic to the OP’s question and I apologize for hijacking your question.
I was just trying to relate my experience with the equipment I own and give a recommendation based on that. I prefer the brushed finish myself.

I went back and forth with customer care over a year ago. Probably a dozen emails, and all the bkf cleanings. I was told “it should be fine”. Nothing was done, and no solution or fix was offered. There is nothing on your site about not fermenting cider, in fact, before I purchased, I called and asked specifically about it.
So hear I sit with a piece of equipment that bums me out every time I use it. I can’t sell it, cause it looks terrible. Good to know it doesn’t happen to anyone else. I guess it’s just me. That makes me feel better.

We didn’t have phone support until about 2 weeks ago but in an event email CS and tell them you want a new lid. Ask to speak to Mike if you hit a dead end.

We didn’t have phone support until about 2 weeks ago but in an event email CS and tell them you want a new lid. Ask to speak to Mike if you hit a dead end.
It’s the whole fermenter. I can forward the whole email chain if you want to read it again. I don’t really want anything at this point anyway. I’m pretty much over it. I bought two flexes with tc bundles and a few other accessories. Probably 7-800 with of stuff. I had a fairly major quality issue, and was kind of brushed off cause “we haven’t seen that before” That was not to my satisfaction, so instead of a solo and a penguin chiller I have a breweasy and a g20. I am happy with the quality of that stuff. I will eventually replace the flexes with something from Blichmann. Cause of that sleek brushed finish. 😉

Last edited:
Back