Stainless Patina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpack

Reaction score
Just inherited three very good shape half barrels I am going to convert into keggles. I have a few questions to throw to the winds.

1. The kegs were cut with a torch w/o water and some slag got onto the bottom. I used a flapper and got it all up, but there is a slight rosy/reddish dull patina on the insides of the kegs. It's not rust as I have already tested a rust converter on a test site. Anybody know what this is? It's uniform in its coverage.

2. Anyone know the best place to find lids that fit the shape of kegs?

3. Does anyone know the solution strength of Nitric acid needed to passivate the insides once I get them all cleaned out?

Cheers!

Just inherited three very good shape half barrels I am going to convert into keggles. I have a few questions to throw to the winds.

1. The kegs were cut with a torch w/o water and some slag got onto the bottom. I used a flapper and got it all up, but there is a slight rosy/reddish dull patina on the insides of the kegs. It's not rust as I have already tested a rust converter on a test site. Anybody know what this is? It's uniform in its coverage.

2. Anyone know the best place to find lids that fit the shape of kegs?

3. Does anyone know the solution strength of Nitric acid needed to passivate the insides once I get them all cleaned out?

Cheers!

You double posted this! Can you delete one of these threads?

Just scrub the whole interior down with a sloppy slurry of bar keeper's friend and a 3m green scrubby.

Never use stainless scrubbies on your pots!! Most of the time they are not really stainless and will make your pots rust worse. The green 3M pads works the best.

Never say never.
I use stainless scrubbies on my keggles every time I brew, and guess what?
No rust!
I have to admit though that I have been a welder 23 years so, I know how to treat stainless steel.

Never use stainless scrubbies on your pots!! Most of the time they are not really stainless and will make your pots rust worse. The green 3M pads works the best.

If a scrubby states it is stainless, it is most likely stainless. I have used them for a long time and they work much, much, much better than 3M pads.

Bar Keepers Friend is one hell of an amazing product. I would try it out, as it has cleaned up quite a few rust pots and other "unknown" colors of stuff in my boil kettle I frankly thought was never coming out. I think you can even get it ad home depot.

Just scrub the whole interior down with a sloppy slurry of bar keeper's friend and a 3m green scrubby.

Bar Keepers Friend is one hell of an amazing product. I would try it out, as it has cleaned up quite a few rust pots and other "unknown" colors of stuff in my boil kettle I frankly thought was never coming out. I think you can even get it ad home depot.

Worked like a champ!

Back