Stainless fire extinguisher fermemter/keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using 2.5gl stainless fire extinguishers as legs or fermenters? I looked on Google and here and have found very little on how or if it works. I shot a fireworks show on the fourth and realized all the extinguishers we had on the shoot site could be used in this way. That night when we unloaded the racks I checked out some of the disassembled extinguishers and I'm pretty sure they would hold enough pressure for beer. Fermenting in one wouldnt be a problem either.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Concerns?

For the record these have only had water in them for the last 10-15 years.

I have had one of these old stainless steel water extinguishers in my garage thinking I was going to turn it into a keg. I ended up just getting some corny keys instead. Then, last month, I ran out of fermenters and needed to a place to rack and age a small batch of sour brown ale. After a bit of cleaning and going through a few rubber stopper stashes, I racked over 2 gallons of wort and pitched the bugs. It works great. The opening fits a #7 stopper and airlock. Nice knowing the whole thing is stainless so no worries about bugs hiding in any scratches. Plus no light issues / putting old t-shirts on carboys.

I just picked up a couple more and may try to convert one to a dispenser similar to this:
http://hackaday.com/2010/12/19/this-fire-extinguisher-serves-frothy-beverages/

In theory, you could rack almost fermented beer into it along with a little of the bottom yeast and have it finish off and carb up at the same time. That would save the need to add a CO2 disconnect and would act kind of like a cask. Just not sure how the valves, seals, and hose resistance would handle foaming when pouring.

I owned one of these once, and as I recall, it was pressurized with air via a Schrader valve. Would not be too difficult to retrofit for CO2 use to keg condition HB.
Might even be some dispensing possibilities with a modified valve. The stock valving is a little, uhh, extreme...

I can't even drink it that fast!

Back