stainless braid, keggle conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacebrew

Reaction score
Question to those who have a braid conversion for their keggles. Everytime i run it off into the damn wort chiller, i lose about .75 gallons in the kettle. I account generally for about .25 for hop absorption. However, its just that the damn keggle stops pulling the liquid out after a certain level. Air must get into the braid and stop the siphon.

Does anyone here have any problems with this? Or have solutions? Or even other options.

thanks.

There just isn't enough open area to deal with the hops. I've made filters with 1 square foot of screen and it clogs with more than 4 oz of pellet hops free floating in the kettle. Just bag your hops in the paint strainer bags and quick clamp them to the side to keep them off the bottom.

would it be impossible or ill-advised to use something like a false bottom which had been covered with a SS mesh? you could run a pickup tube into the center as if you were mashing. Then you'd effectively have a larger filter area and be able to pull every drop out.

I would worry about extracts though sinking below that and caramelizing b/c you can't really stir down there. Any altercations to be made to this to make it work?

A false bottom would not work with hop pellets, whole flower might work but the idea is to also filter out the cold/hot break. For pellets I use a large mesh bag suspend by 4 hooks then just dump the hops in.

would it not work because the hop pellets would penetrate the holes? that's why it would be covered with finer SS mesh. Really, a false bottom isnt necessary, just some framework that would support the SS mesh and allow a pickup tube to get the wort from under it. Know what i mean? instead of a filter on the end of the tube, its the same concept of a false bottom, only finer straining capacity.

the hot/cold break should be filtered out by such a device, assuming its a fine mesh.

I do what Bobby M is suggesting. I use a five gallon mesh paint strainer bag that's clamped to the side of the keggle. Easy to add more hops, it's off of the bottom so it doesn't scorch, and I can Tea Bag as much as I like.

From your ball valve you might want to run copper pipe with an elbow to the low point in the keggle so that you can siphon out most of the wort, I lose about a cup or so when I drain my keggle.

One thing to consider is that if you run the pickup pipe to the center of the keg, you won't be able to whirlpool to collect trub in the center of the keg.

Good Luck...

Question to those who have a braid conversion for their keggles. Everytime i run it off into the damn wort chiller, i lose about .75 gallons in the kettle. I account generally for about .25 for hop absorption. However, its just that the damn keggle stops pulling the liquid out after a certain level. Air must get into the braid and stop the siphon.

Does anyone here have any problems with this? Or have solutions? Or even other options.

thanks.

I set me insert close as possible to the bottom of the keg and use a bazooka screen.......works great. After whirlpool on 10g batches it leaves most of the trub in pot.

Back