Stabilizing double dose ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelafish

Reaction score
I recently fermented 5 gal of white grape/peach juice with EC-1118, and got it down to .996 a few weeks ago. I'm looking to make a medium sweet wine, so I put the requisite Kmeta and sorbate in the bottom of a 6 gal bucket and racked onto it. I only have one 5 gal container (the one I was fermenting in), so when it was empty, I cleaned and Star-Sanned it, and racked back into it to minimize head space. And it started bubbling again. Not a lot, probably every few minutes. This is my first time stabilizing, so is this normal ?? Or did it need more time to dissolve before I racked again? If it continues, is it OK to add a second dose thru the top of the carboy ?? ( It's only been a little over 24 hrs.)

Not sure if this is "normal" or not, but the same thing happened to me with a particularly stubborn maple syrup wine. After stabilizing, racked it into a new carboy and fit an airlock, "just in case," like usual. The next day, I noticed a few bubbles coming up from the depths. I gave it about a week to calm down, and when it didn't, I hit it with another round of stabilizing. Again, fit an airlock, and waited to see what would happen. Luckily, the second round stopped all fermentation.

K-sorb doesn't kill living yeast. It sterilizes it from reproducing. It will still ferment while it is still alive.
Don't worry, the sediment will be minimal. Let it rack for a bit longer and you'll be fine. They'll die.

I guess I'll let it sit for another week, and if no further action, I'll add a small amount of sweetener and see if it starts up again. Then I should know if I need a second dose.

Seeing bubbles in the airlock after racking is not necessarily a restart of fermentation. Just a degassing, which probably happened because you stirred things up while racking. Don't add more stabilizers until you have checked an SG and see it dropping.

Latest posts

Back