Ssbrewtech eKettle with any controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
I've posted numerous threads about how to make the Ssbrewtech eKettle compatible with my brew boss controller. I've always felt like Darin's controller was one of the best on the market. Feel free to argue, but I love it. The other components of the brew boss system work just fine, but are not on the same standard as Ssbrewtech or Spike etc.

After all of my posts begging to make the integrated temp probe compatible, and refusing to drill a hole in a brand new kettle for a weldless fitting ... it finally hit me. Use a thermowell in the unused port on the front of the kettle. Yes the port is used for whirlpooling with the adapter, but it can be used for other accessories as well.

The final win for me was when my jaded hydra chiller nested perfectly inside the helical coil without making any contact, resting perfectly on the bottom of the pot. Jaded makes a whirlybird tube for whirlpooling.

Anyways, I'm just excited to be using a top tier kettle again. Love the design. The boil really does look much more evenly distributed using a helical coil rather than a ripple element. Using a thermowell, any probe with any controller that can fit will work just fine.

I'm curious about reading your other treads related to using the eKettle with other controllers. I did read one thread titled "Controller/Temp probe cross compability." Was that the only one or were there others?

I'm thinking about getting the 2V eBrewing Kit from SS Brewtech (the one with HLT, Infussion Mash Tun, Kettle, Unitank, and accessories), but I'm also a little anxious about future compatibility if I need to replace an element. Based on your post above and the one I linked, I guess it's possible, although I might lose a port that could otherwise be used for whirlpooling.

Am I missing anything or is it as simple as that? Also, if an Ss element fails, will I need to get a new controller, too, because of the way the Ss Brewtech eController implements the temp probe?

Been a while since I wrote that. I’m now using their full 3v system.

Using a thermowell, you can use whatever temp probe you want as long as it fits the thermowell.

If an element fails, you won’t need a new controller. The Ssbrewtech temp probe is built into the element. You’d just need to special order a new element. They don’t sell those unless you bought their system, but will sell it as a stand alone special order item if you bought their controller.

Their system is not very friendly when using other system components. It can work, but it’s not ideal. There’s more flexibility if you go with something from Bobby at brewhardware.com

I like my system and am glad I’ve got it, but don’t get it unless you specifically want Ssbrewtech. I had mostly Ss gear and wanted to stick with them.

On a side note, their customer service sucks when trying to learn the controller. They have no clue how to help you if you need it. If you do go that route though, I should be able to help. I’ve got a few YouTube videos on the menu tree.

Thanks, jtvann. I'm good going all ss brewtech. I, too, already have some of their products and like what they offer in their 3 vessel + unitank kit. That's what I'm thinking about getting (with the 2v controller).

Glad to know I could order an element if something goes wrong. I was worried that wasn't the case since they don't list then on their own.

The only other thing I was worried about was if they for some reason they stop supporting this product line and stop offering the parts (or go out of business). But I guess I'll just hope that doesn't happen any time soon.

I found your YouTube videos earlier and already bookmarked them to revisit after I (probably) get the Ss controller. Thanks for making those. I wish there were more videos or reviews out there on their system.

Glad to know I could order an element if something goes wrong. I was worried that wasn't the case since they don't list then on their own.

The only other thing I was worried about was if they for some reason they stop supporting this product line and stop offering the parts (or go out of business). But I guess I'll just hope that doesn't happen any time soon.

The guarantee against not being able to get replacement parts is to buy systems that don't use any proprietary components. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the original supplier. The risk of using proprietary componenets is lower if you go with a well established business with a solid history, large customer base, and is well capitalized.

Brew on :mug:

Doesn't it seem a bit suspicious that they don't offer the element for sale on its own? If I want to buy one for <<reasons>> why won't they sell me one? They make money off of it (unless they're selling at a loss?), they get a customer and it's something like 10x easier for a business to retain a customer than to get a new one.

No matter what the reason is, I feel like the same reason would compel them to NOT sell you a replacement part if you needed it. Maybe the element is a loss-leader and they are only willing to take that loss if you also buy a kettle/system. But if that's the case, it will also be true in the future when you need a replacement and they're looking at a sale of one element at a negative profit margin. If a penny-pinching CFO is in charge then they're likely to say no to that transaction regardless of what they claim now.

I was eyeing their electric setup and controllers but there were too many little things that I didn't like (I wanted HERMS and they are more setup for RIMS). The proprietary nature of the elements might have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

P.S. If you sell your system to someone else and they need a replacement element will they be able to buy one? If not, are SSBrewtech electric systems going to be selling for half the price of other modular systems on the used market?

The guarantee against not being able to get replacement parts is to buy systems that don't use any proprietary components
I was eyeing their electric setup and controllers but there were too many little things that I didn't like (I wanted HERMS and they are more setup for RIMS). The proprietary nature of the elements might have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Understood. All good points made above and those are some of the considerations I've been weighing in trying to make my decision. I've heard about very positive experience's with the Ss system, despite some of these concerns, and I'm still leaning toward the Ss Kit. The Spike kit looks very good, as well.

Back