SS Brewtech Weld issue - anything to worry about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
I posted this on someone else’s topic, but figured it’s best to start my own.

I ordered a 7 gallon SS Brewtech unitank a few weeks ago and have not used it yet. I have completed the pressure testing that they recommend. After a few days I realized there was a ring of rust on the inside of the unitank. I cleaned the rust off. When clean, I found what appears to be small cracking in a ring around the unitank just above the cone. I’m wondering if this is because of a bad weld, and will this cause issues long term? Should I seek a replacement, or is this nothing to worry about. I’ll post a video and 2 photos. If you need more close ups, please let me know, but it is difficult to get a good photo inside the tank. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I would say rusting and a hairline crack would not be a good thing in a fermentation vessel. This is there welded on lid model correct? That would be really hard to clean IMO. Worst case scenario is the weld area is weak and when you pressurize it something bad happens...

This is near the bottom of the tank just before it turns into the lower cone. That ring goes around the entire vessel and had a few rust areas. This photo is after I cleaned the rust.

This is their fully welded version, the lid is a triclamp. The vessel is small enough however where I can reach anywhere on the inside of the vessel with a rag or sponge.

My main concern is the life span of this vessel. I plan on this thing lasting pretty much forever. If this spot will become a weak point over time, especially if recurring rust/deterioration in this area will becomes an issue, I’d rather get it addressed.

Last edited:
Hi,

I own a Unitank and I am very please with mine. Based on your pictures I would say that’s a bad weld and it should caught during the QC. I have never had any issues with any of their products considering that most 70% of my home brewery is ss Brewtech products but If I were in your shoes, I will contact SS Brewtech and request a replacement, make sure you open a new request at the following link https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new also somewhere in the description block make clear you are requesting a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA). Explicitly request an exchange and free shipping for your return and do not forget to upload your photos of the failed weld.

I hope this helps

Good luck and please keep us posted

Cheers
Jorge

I appreciate your input. I have sent them a request and am waiting for a response. I will keep you updated. Thanks!

SS is sending me a new shell. Hopefully this one is good. They offered me a $140 credit to keep the one I have but after spending 900 on a tank, I just wanted a perfect tank.

Back