Ss Brewtech Ftss malfunction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superkrai

Reaction score
The Ftss controller flashed all 8's, 88.8.8 then flashes and displays the current temp. It continues to do this and never turns on the pump. Not sure if the video was able to attach.

Do you have the FTSs or FTSs2 (with cooling and heating)? I have the FTSs2 and had the same issue when I plugged in the heater, worked fine with the heater unplugged. They sent me a new heating pad and it worked for a few batches. Now it'll work until the heater tries to raise the temp more than half a degree then starts blinking again. I haven't really needed the heater so didn't contact them again.

I have the FTSs. I hope that's not common With the FTSs2. I was thinking of buying that.

Based on my experience with it I can't recommend the FTSs2 for the Brew Bucket, maybe it works better on the conical or unitank or maybe I just got a bad unit. The cooling on mine works great though.

I've never had any problems with my ftss2. I've got 2 systems on brew buckets. Have been able to cold crash down to 35 with no freezing issues, as well as maintain fermentation in colder conditions with the heat pad.

The heating function works best when theres movement of the wort through fermentation. It will work without fermentation, but its slower.

There are limits to the system though. Dont expect to maintain 65 degrees with 30 degree ambient temps. Many people dont know that you can plug the pump and chiller coil into the heating side though. You can use an aquarium heater inside a cooler to heat water, then pump warm water through the coils. That works much better than the heating pad.

That's an excellent idea @Jtvann with plugging the coils into the heat side, I even have a spare aquarium heater, I'll have to try that some time with a saison.

My issue with the heater isn't that it doesn't heat quickly but that it causes the controller to malfunction once it raises the temp just 1/2 degree. I probably just got a bad one. I don't need it much since the room I ferment in is a consistent 70 F all year.

The issue is the power supply/cable. Had it happen to one of mine a few years ago and they just sent me a new one. You can find cheap replacement ones on eBay or Amazon for nothing.

Back