SS Brewtech 10 Gallon vs 20 Gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory T

Reaction score
I have been extract brewing for a few years now. I am making the switch to all grain. I want all stainless. I plan on doing No Sparge Brewing. I brew Belgians nearly exclusively. My quad has an 18# grain bill. At a .125 absorption that puts my mash volume at 10.69 to get 5.5 in the fermenter. Just over the 10 gallon.

I looking at the SS Brewtech 10 and 20 Gallon Infussion Mash Tun. (Wish they had a 15) I’m worried that the 20 gallon will be overkill especially if I do an occasional Dunkelweizen, but possibly even for my Dubbel. I will probably eventually set up a HERMS but probably not for a year or so

Anyone else experience this, or any thoughts on heat loss due to dead space

591BA622-90CF-443A-AAA6-034AF8E05620.png
What's your water to grain ratio in the mash? I imagine there's a little room to go thicker?

This is the outcome of BIAB calculator

Guess I missed the BIAB part. Sorry.

No worries. At this point I’m wondering if I should just go straight to a 15 gallon recirculating system. It Doesn’t look like it would be much more than the 20 Gallon Brew tech tun

Then I have to decide Spike or Blichman. I read some not so shiny reviews on the G2, but it’s hard to compare since the Spike kettles come with nothing

20 gallon is a lot of tun if your not using all that volume often.

I think I would prefer to do a minor sparge on occasion rather than have a tun that is too large for the majority of my brewing...

A 1 gallon room temp sparge to reach kettle volume doesn’t make you a bad person :)

I had the same issue as the OP. 10 gal is too small, 20 gal is too large for me. In the end I built my RIMS around a non-insulated 15 gal SSB kettle. To compensate for heat loss I fitted the kettle with a flat silicone heating mat 300W@24V-DC that runs continuously from dough-in until I'm done sparging and I find that it compensates nicely for the heat loss from the uninsulated kettle.

Back