Ss Brewing or MegaPot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I don't like in my SSB kettle is the trub dam. It's way too small and even with a good whirlpool you'll end up picking up some trub at the end. One thing to consider if that's the deciding factor for your.
Other than the dam or whirlpool, is there some other method or gizmo. I currently whirlpool and auto siphon from the side which is a PITA, one of my reasons for wanting an upgrade kettle

Other than the dam or whirlpool, is there some other method or gizmo. I currently whirlpool and auto siphon from the side which is a PITA, one of my reasons for wanting an upgrade kettle

I got a Spike Kettle recently. Main came with some dings and stuff so they sent me a replacement, but I got it with the sidewall diptube and I can tell it's going to be a big help! With the stepped bottom and it drawing from the top lip side wall I can just tell I won't have anywhere near the issues I had with my Blichmann G1 when doing beers with adjuncts like my Belgian Wit. My Blichmann valve used to clog constantly due to the orange peel and coriander. With the Spike's sidewall top step pickup diptube I can't see that happening at all. In addition, the Spike uses a slightly larger diptube/ball valve diameter of 5/8". At first I kinda thought this stupid as it's outside the standard 1/2". Surprisingly though I found that my 1/2" silicone tubing fits on snugger and doesn't require any sort of clamp to hold it in place which on my MegaPot 1.2 (which I use for my sparge water) the 1/2" tubing doesn't hold on very securely on it's own. And when looking at the ball valve barbs I can see the difference and also feel the wider opening would also help prevent clogging.

Lastly, the welded ports are nice. I can't stand how the valve on my Megapot is always rotating which requires I rotate it back and re-tighten. The trick to installing the ball valve and thermometer so that they are in upright position (meaning not rotated or upside down) is to add teflon tape wraps until it finally screws in to where it's tight and leveled.

Rev.

Looking to get a brew kettle (and wort chiller) to complete my setup. I havn't brewed for a while but when I did I used a 5 gallon pot (it probably wasn't even that big as I know I had to always add water to my carboy). Was looking online and also came across this. the Spike stuff looks awesome (and it has my initials) but not sure I can afford that type of investment when just getting back into brewing again. Might have to just pick up one from Amazon or something.

Back