SRM's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarvisg

Reaction score
I have created a recipe that could be a potential clone of Bigfoot barley wine. When plugging in the calculations for an American barley wine on Hopville it says the SRM's should be below 19. My recipe is showing 32. Does the SRM affect taste of beer or just the coloring?

Most of the time color comes from an ingredient that also adds flavoring. Crystal malts have richer flavors as they get darker. Roast malts have stronger chocolate, coffee, or smoky flavors as they get darker. There is a german extract that I cannot remember the name of right now that can give an almost black coloring with very little to no flavor influence. That is an exception to the rule though.

What's the exception? It says the barkeywines Srm should be 19 and I'm getting 32. How much will this effect it and would it be a negative effect? I have not brewed yet but to get all the abv%, gravity calcs and ibus this turns out the srms above. How do u measure srms once brewed, is it a guess?

32 is black. A stout or porter, usually. What is your recipe?

Approximating SRM is easy, just put the beer next to a color guide (google it). Measuring it is extremely hard and requires expensive lab equipment.

Eric

SRM is a color measurement, short for Standard Reference Method. It is not a unit of measurement, so referring to SRM in the plural is inappropriate.

Further, using an apostrophe when you mean plural is a rather basic error. Please don't use "grocer's apostrophe's" when you intend to indicate a plural. Below is a very good guide.

Thank you.

header.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

tarvisg said:
What's the exception? It says the barkeywines Srm should be 19 and I'm getting 32. How much will this effect it and would it be a negative effect? I have not brewed yet but to get all the abv%, gravity calcs and ibus this turns out the srms above. How do u measure srms once brewed, is it a guess?

The BJCP style guidelines for an American Barleywine say the color should be between 10-19 SRM. For English Barleywines, the range is 8-22 SRM.

As noted above in the first response, there is something in your recipe that is pushing your beer outside those guidelines, like too much dark crystal or roasted barley.

If you share your recipe, someone will be able to identify what the problem is, or make suggestions on how to adjust it.

SRM is a color measurement, short for Standard Reference Method. It is not a unit of measurement, so referring to SRM in the plural is inappropriate.

Further, using an apostrophe when you mean plural is a rather basic error. Please don't use "grocer's apostrophe's" when you intend to indicate a plural. Below is a very good guide.

Thank you.

I'm surprised you missed 'affect' and 'effect'.
To the OP:SRM is not directly tied to flavor.

Well regardless of my unfortunate grammatical errors, here is my recipe.
http://hopville.com/recipe/983482/american-barleywine-recipes/bigfoot-clone
Like I said this is an attempt to clone Bigfoot based on the grains, hops and additional information I was able to gather from the Sierra Nevada website.
Thanks for any help with correcting my recipe.
I will look into that color guide online.

Like I said this is an attempt to clone Bigfoot based on the grains, hops and additional information I was able to gather from the Sierra Nevada website.

Jamil's American Barleywine recipe from Brewing Classic Styles is supposed to be close to Bigfoot. I don't think he specifically markets it as a clone. It might be worth a look though. If you don't have the book, I would highly recommend it. It is a wealth of info on brewing to style.

Eric

tarvisg said:

That recipe has a grain bill with 35% crystal or caramel malt, which is way too much. Drop it down to 10% and see where your predicted color ends up.

Thx to both of u for the info. So if I drop it down to 10% what would u suggest I put in to supplement the change? I will also look into that book forked info.

tarvisg said:
Thx to both of u for the info. So if I drop it down to 10% what would u suggest I put in to supplement the change? I will also look into that book forked info.

Add more base grain, which in your recipe is two-row malt.

I remembered how much grains I have seen in other barkeywines so I had to up the lbs. I hope it turns out good, but they are all experiments at this point for me. I have read about % breakdowns in the past. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow for that? Thx again

I remembered how much grains I have seen in other barkeywines so I had to up the lbs. I hope it turns out good, but they are all experiments at this point for me. I have read about % breakdowns in the past. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow for that? Thx again

It depends on the style, but I almost never use more than 10 percent caramel malts.

Back