Spurhund Zunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tasted this while transfering to secondary. it has been in primary for 3 weeks. it is starting to get tart. 1.006 right now. amazing recipe flyangler. thanks

Cool - now leave it alone for a couple more months and you'll be rewarded with a pellicle of sorts. Quite a sight. :)

nice. it was starting to get splochy white dots on top, i think pretty standard for the look of lacto d. i just wanted to get it off of the yeast cake before extended bulk aging. stoked to try this one

Just a quick question. Do you move this to a secondary or just keep it in a primary on the yeast for the bulk aging?

Brewed this yesterday. pitched lacto at 3:00 pm so now 21 hours in. I've been holding the temp @ 90 deg. just took off the blanket and heating pad. air lock is bubbling away. Is that lacto only krausen? I took a wiff of the airlock and it smells pretty good and sour. I thought L. Delbrueckii was homofermentative, producing only lactic aci?. Did I contaminate my bugs with some yeast somehow? Or is it suppose to look like that. I've never pitched lacto by itself before.

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

Now I'm gonna let it cool in my garage to 65 and pitch my starter,

^yeah, that is how my lacto looked prior to pitching the sacc.
I am about ready to bottle mine now, it is pretty mouth puckering. I put my carboy into the fridge to cold crash it. will the lacto film on top drop out with cold crashing or will i just need to rack from under it?

^yeah, that is how my lacto looked prior to pitching the sacc.
I am about ready to bottle mine now, it is pretty mouth puckering. I put my carboy into the fridge to cold crash it. will the lacto film on top drop out with cold crashing or will i just need to rack from under it?

Hopefully I'm not too late with this, I've been absent from HBT for quite some time. I never tried cold crashing this recipe, but I would just try racking from underneath.

Sounds like it turned out great for you!

A couple of questions about berliner weisses:

* In the "traditional methods" portion of the wiki, it suggests using a no-boil method and sparging straight into the fermenter. Am I correct that this would be hazardous for a glass carboy, and should probably be poured into the kettle first for chilling?
* If I want to add the lacto before the yeast, when should I aerate? My understanding is that lacto don't like O2 but obviously yeast do, so should I rack my wort to the fermenter, add lacto, and then wait a couple of days to aerate and add the yeast?

If I want to add the lacto before the yeast, when should I aerate? My understanding is that lacto don't like O2 but obviously yeast do, so should I rack my wort to the fermenter, add lacto, and then wait a couple of days to aerate and add the yeast?

Add lacto, wait a few days, and then pitch the yeast without aerating. As long as you have plenty of yeast (eg make a small starter) you will be fine without aerating.

does the sourness stick in the lines of your kegging system? Any infections from it? Would it be better to pitch lacto, go 48+ hours, pitch yeast, finish it out hot for 10 days, then Campden and keg it sanitary-like? adjusting sourness upwards with lactic acid after?

I foolishly cooked up this beer before having the lacto ready to pitch. I was only able to pitch the lacto bacteria at the very tail end of primary fermentation.

will the lacto have a sufficient amount of sugars to actually make this brew sour? Will I have to wait a ridiculously long time before the sourness is noticeable?

I am sure it will be a great grog and summer beer; sour or not. thanks

I did a 15 gallon batch into 3 carboys. In carboy 1 I pitched lacto on brew day, in #2 I pitched lacto and yeast simultaneously. In #3 I pitched yeast. On day 3 I added yeast to #1 and lacto to #3. I'll try to get ph readings on them after they've been running 2 weeks right before kegging them. I figured this way I could compare the carboys and see what tasted best to me.

mine ended up with some bad DMS. I'm blaming the short boil. anybody else have this?

Yes, I just cracked the first bottle of mine tonight. It had some serious DMS that I didn't notice during fermentation. Anyone know how to fix this up?

I also entered a wit beer not too long ago into a competition at a local brewery. On the judging sheet it mentioned DMS but 3 days at a warm rest of 90 degrees made it less noticeable. I have never heard of this as a way to clean up DMS and I don't know if it works but I might give it a try on my Berliner. :drunk:

Yes, I just cracked the first bottle of mine tonight. It had some serious DMS that I didn't notice during fermentation. Anyone know how to fix this up?

I also entered a wit beer not too long ago into a competition at a local brewery. On the judging sheet it mentioned DMS but 3 days at a warm rest of 90 degrees made it less noticeable. I have never heard of this as a way to clean up DMS and I don't know if it works but I might give it a try on my Berliner. :drunk:

Well, since mine is currently fermenting at about that temp (its hot in texas) hopefully mine won't be bad.

despite the DMS, this is an excellent beer! I will definitely make it again. thought I will most likely boil it a bit longer.

Mine has been sitting warm in the kegs for quite a while and there's virtually no sourness. I'll try spiking samples with lactic acid and perhaps sour up one keg that way and leave the other two to sit longer.

I let mine age for 4 months and the sourness was there, but not very pronounced. I added 3 tablespoons of lactic acid and it helped. Still not even close to style though.

Darn good beer though. I think I might like it at this level and not too much more. The white labs lacto seems very weak.

Okay, so one keg just had a touch of sour after a few months, and it went to a party. I offered some spiked samples to the person who was receiving it and they actually preferred it natural. It was already a great beer at that time.

A few months later and it's starting to sour, so keg #2 is more interesting to drink, but still no pucker.

Keg #3 will sit until our Oktoberfest party and be served there.

I think we need to figure out how to get a much bigger lacto pitch or starter for a reasonable price. No way I will pay half as much in lacto as I do for grain for this beer.

so for this beer, I decided to pitch wyeast 3191 which is a mix of lacto, brett, and german ale yeast all in one package. How long would you suggest I leave it in primary? I am thinking a month minimum unless I hear otherwise. Is a secondary necessary?

I''m assuming this is a beer I'll have to bottle instead of drinking it off the kegerator. Will it sour my tap lines?

That mix has a suggested ferment time of 3 to 6 months. At one month, I would expect not much sourness at all. The brett in it takes a bit to get going.

I emailed Wyeast yesterday asking about suggested fermentation techniques, this is their reply:

I recommend doing the long term aging in the bottles. If you prime at normal levels, you should have no bottle bombs. The lacto will not cause higher CO2 levels, but the Brettanomyces in the blend will. It will add a higher level of CO2 to the beer, but not to the point where you have exploding bottles.

So I plan on bulk aging in the primary for a month, then bottling with priming sugar, then letting it age for 3-6 more months. Hopefully it will continue to sour in the bottles.

How has everyone else aged their beer with 3191? Are you guys leaving it in primary for 3-6 months or do you rack it to secondary for the long haul, or do you just age it in bottles?

So, I ended up leaving it in primary for a month then I transferred it to secondary. It has been in secondary for about a month now and it just starting to show a bit of pellicle formation. Their is a white ring around the top of the beer on the glass carboy and some white bubble looking islands floating in the middle. I think I'm gonna let it sit for another month then bottle (I'm hoping there will be enough sach/brett to carbonate it with priming sugar. I think just to be safe, I'd rather not put this beer into a keg and then run it through my keg lines.

So I'm getting ready to do an extract of this recipe and was wondering about when I should add the European versus the Lacto. I see some are saying it's not sour enough but others are saying it's too sour. The only beer of this style that I've had is The Bruery's Hottenroth, which was basically just the amount of sour I'd like. Anyone know how the sourness should compare to that if I pitched both at the same time?

Lacto seems to work so slow that I think this beer is about patience, not about which to pitch first in a matter of days. I plan on just tossing them in simultaneously and leaving them to rot in the basement for six months before I pester the beer. The tail end of the batch I made last summer is now developing a pucker, so six months seems to be right.

what temp do i want to ferment this at? i pitched my lacto starter at 95 and am planning to let it sit 48 hours. do i keep it in the 90s via fermwrap or do i let it drop to 68 over 48 hours and then pitch my yeast? also what temp do i age this at?

at this point I firmly believe that we are overthinking and overworking this beer. Just throw a wort together, barely boil it, run it off to some carboys or buckets, put in some bugs and yeast and forget about it for six months. Viola! you have nice sour beer.

I just made some and put it in the corner in the basement to ignore until summer.

at this point I firmly believe that we are overthinking and overworking this beer. Just throw a wort together, barely boil it, run it off to some carboys or buckets, put in some bugs and yeast and forget about it for six months. Viola! you have nice sour beer.

I just made some and put it in the corner in the basement to ignore until summer.

i haven't brewed this yet, but when i do i think i'm going to go by your thinking.

seems like i read somewhere else that with sour beers the temp change from the seasons changing add to the flavor??

cntry036 said:
i haven't brewed this yet, but when i do i think i'm going to go by your thinking.

seems like i read somewhere else that with sour beers the temp change from the seasons changing add to the flavor??

That's what i do and it works great. It sits in my garage here in Texas and the lacto really flourish. There is a picture of the Brett growing on top of the current batch in the sour ale pelicile thread.

I also posted this under the bottling section, but figured I would post it here since this is the recipe I used.

I brewed this recipe and placed into a primary fermenter on January 24, 2011. The beer was transferred to a secondary fermenter on February 27, 2011 and has been sitting there since. OG - 1.032, FG - 1.005.

The yeast used for fermentation was the White Labs WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend that is "A blend of a traditional German Weizen yeast and Lactobacillus."

I am now ready to bottle the beer, but I am unsure if the prolonged secondary will allow my beer to carbonate with priming sugar added. Do I need to repitch yeast? My understanding is that lacto will not produce CO2 to carbonate the beer, and I am unsure if there is adequate yeast left to perform the job.

Any help/insight/previous experience would be helpful!

Back