Spray Priming Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,
Sometimes (ok most time) I just don't peel like filling up my priming pail with 5g of water + sanitizer. Sometimes I just want to take a spray bottle with water and sanitizing solution and coat the interior of the priming pail. Do people think this is good enough?

Thanks in Advance,
Frank

Yes.
Tons of people do this. it saves a lot of time and money on sanitizer. I use a good spray bottle for pretty much everything except stuff that has lots of little nooks -- I usually dunk and shake valves, tubes, airlocks, autosiphon, etc, but I rely heavily on a spray bottle, all of the time.

I presume you are using starsan or some other phosphoric acid thing?

That's what I do, i thoroughly wash rinse and dry my bin, then give a very thorough spray with starsan solution , you need to make sure it's wet for more than thirty seconds may be a second spraying , then tip it out and then I transfer my prime and beer into it. I do the same with my FV . Never had a problem.

Hi All,
Sometimes (ok most time) I just don't peel like filling up my priming pail with 5g of water + sanitizer. Sometimes I just want to take a spray bottle with water and sanitizing solution and coat the interior of the priming pail. Do people think this is good enough?

Thanks in Advance,
Frank

Sanitizing with a solution of Starsan, and some other sanitizers, you only need to wet the surface you want to sanitize. Pour some Starsan solution into your primary, shake it around, and pour the sanitizer back into the storage container. I use one gallon water bottles to store my Starsan solution in.

I only mix 1 gallon of Starsan at a time. Clean my fermenters/bottling bucket, including the spigot parts, dunk spigot in Starsan for a minute or so, the reassemble to bucket wet. Then pour the gallon of starsan in it, put the lid on, & swish around a bit, raining through the spigot back into the jug.

so is the bucket still wet, or the parts when you use them? I can't get used to the idea that the solution kills and sanitizes, but won't have an affect on my yeast or my beer flavor. I have an urge to want to rinse with cold water, or dry with a paper towel.

so is the bucket still wet, or the parts when you use them? I can't get used to the idea that the solution kills and sanitizes, but won't have an affect on my yeast or my beer flavor. I have an urge to want to rinse with cold water, or dry with a paper towel.

If you're using StarSan it only sanitizes when wet. If it's dry it can no longer sanitize. StarSan is a great no rinse sanitizer. I've never noticed any off flavors from using it.

So has anyone ever tasted it? I mean actually drank a few drops of the solution?
I used the LD Carlson Easy-clean no-rinse sanitizer, and I used it according to the directions, but i will admit I tried to shake off as much of the liquid as I possibly could before I put it in my beer. My thermometer was sitting in the sanitizer as I cooled the wort, I did not have the floating kind or the little bracket to leave it in the wort, so I kept checking the temp as I changed the ice bath. I cringed every time I dunked the wet thermometer in the cooling wort.

So has anyone ever tasted it? I mean actually drank a few drops of the solution?
I used the LD Carlson Easy-clean no-rinse sanitizer, and I used it according to the directions, but i will admit I tried to shake off as much of the liquid as I possibly could before I put it in my beer. My thermometer was sitting in the sanitizer as I cooled the wort, I did not have the floating kind or the little bracket to leave it in the wort, so I kept checking the temp as I changed the ice bath. I cringed every time I dunked the wet thermometer in the cooling wort.

Haha, you'll get over it. Star san is great stuff. Won't hurt you or your beer one bit. There have been plenty of stories of people accidentally racking to a fermenter with a gallon or two of star san in it already and the beer turning out fine (albeit a bit watered down) I can assure you you drink plenty of it via commercial beers.

Yes, but I woke up in Mexico with a Parrot and two left shoes, won't do that again.

Not only do I spray the bottling bucket, but also all the bottles are wet when filling. Never noticed any off taste or had any problems.

Haha, I'm already over it, even though I can't reconcile it in my brain! Just seems nasty. Probably too many lingering recollections of using straight-up bleach in the old days.

When I started reading, "Don't fear the foam," of course I had to taste it. You need to know the ingredients in your beer, even the very minor ingredients.

Yes. When doing small batches I sometimes partially fill a pint glass with star san to stick my thermapen in while chilling since I'm checking temp frequently. One brew day everything was pretty much put away, and being several pints in I decided to hydrate with a little "water". Big swig from the pint glass - oops. It wasn't super pleasant tasting but no ill effects otherwise that I could tell. The tiny amount left on the walls of the brew pail is instantly diluted by all that wort, really it's nothing to worry about.

Buy the best professional spray bottle you can find. The cheap ones just end up pissing you off.

I haven't mixed up StarSan in any other container for a year. I can carry it around with one finger. 1.5 ml of StarSan per 32 oz of water.

I use a spray bottle I got from the dollar store. Good quality with measurements on it for a buck! Bought it a few years ago & it seals better than my storage jug.

Using the little measuring cube on the top of the Starsan bottle, I measure 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark. Dump that in a gallon jug of water. I just give it time to settle in & mix by itself. Then maybe tip swirl, etc to mix a little more to be sure.

Yes, but I woke up in Mexico with a Parrot and two left shoes, won't do that again.

Been there, done that,...except substitute in for the parrot a Capuchin Monkey that thought I'm it's Momma, and a pirate tattoo. But that's another story perhaps for another forum. :off:

I found a new 32oz spray bottle which will be dedicated to sanitizer, and I decided to turn my 2-gallon fermenting bucket into a sanitization vessel, and upgrade to a 3 gallon bucket for fermenting my 2 gallon batches.

I've heard that starsan is best for air locks, if the airlock does suck some of it back in, it's not only harmless but has some nutrients that are yeast friendly. Never researched to see if there was any truth or not. I know that if you do drink a good bit of it, it will open up and flush your colon if you know what I mean. Don't ask, it's a long story. Lol

Starsan is fine for airlocks, but while bubbling it foams up & out. So I cut it 50/50 with grain alcohol or other strong, neutral spirits.

Back