Splashing during primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckahoe

Reaction score
I have been making my own wine. This is my first run at beer. During wine making, it is often a good idea to splash the wine during primary fermentation. This helps to introduce oxygen (which keeps the yeast healthy), and releases Carbon dioxide.

Is this a good idea to do with my beer? Or should I just let it be during fermentation?

No, bad idea. You don't want to introduce oxygen to the beer at that stage. Unless you're making some New Belgium clone and want to save money on cardboard.

no. after the initial aeration of the wort, you don't want to introduce any more oxygen

With all this talk about underaeration when you're not using pure O2, I'm not sure that I'm convinced that giving it an extra shake between pitching and seeing airlock activity is a bad idea. I'm under the impression that that time period is when the yeast is multiplying and needs O2, but then it doens't need it once you see CO2 action... so what's wrong with shaking it while it is still consuming O2?

With all this talk about underaeration when you're not using pure O2, I'm not sure that I'm convinced that giving it an extra shake between pitching and seeing airlock activity is a bad idea. I'm under the impression that that time period is when the yeast is multiplying and needs O2, but then it doens't need it once you see CO2 action... so what's wrong with shaking it while it is still consuming O2?

I think this argument sounds at least baseline plausible. Of course, you have to remember that yeast don't switch phases like a light switch. It's not like 100% of the yeast are in the adaptation phase one minute, and the next they are all in the attenuative phase. It's a gradual process. So I would think there'd be a risk that some of the anaerobic fermentation had already started, so you might get some undesirable oxidation anyway...?

In other words, even if you are right it seems like it would be safer to just aerate it before/when pitching, and then leave it. It would be interesting to hear if anybody's tried it though...

kinda along the same lines. is it wrong to pitch the yeast then shake the **** out of it right away? so it all gets mixed in? i figure in the 2 seconds of the yeast being in there there's no chance of fermentation really starting yet.

kinda along the same lines. is it wrong to pitch the yeast then shake the **** out of it right away? so it all gets mixed in? i figure in the 2 seconds of the yeast being in there there's no chance of fermentation really starting yet.

No problem at all.

_

thats what i figured, but i have never seen that directly mentioned on here. i've seen it said, "DON'T shake your fermenter once the yeast hits the wort" but i figured they didn't really mean right as you dump it in. thank you.

Latest posts

Back