Spike... I need a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you do the same (regulation for cold crashing) with a cask breather? I have one that I purchased years ago and never used it for a beer engine. I wonder would it help to keep a blanket of CO2 when cold crashing?

I haven't used one before but they look fairly similar, depending on where you buy one (I see ones online similar to the regulator I have - $10-15, all the way up to $100 at beverage factory for something that looks a bit more designed for the application).

I did a BIAC today.

The lid gasket kept falling out when it was wet and hot. It took me a while to get it in the position. Any idea of replacement of the gasket?

I had trouble with my gasket falling out as well just when putting the lid on - standard use.

Any pictures of the how the gasket is oriented on these? I've been following this thread for details and feedback as I'm sure many others are who are planning to buy a CF.

I had trouble with my gasket falling out as well just when putting the lid on - standard use.

Any pictures of the how the gasket is oriented on these? I've been following this thread for details and feedback as I'm sure many others are who are planning to buy a CF.

This is not an issue that we have heard. The gasket was actually specifically designed so when the lid is flipped for install the gasket does not fall out.

SB2017_ConicalAssemblyDoc_F-1.jpg

This is not an issue that we have heard. The gasket was actually specifically designed so when the lid is flipped for install the gasket does not fall out.

SB2017_ConicalAssemblyDoc_F-1.jpg

Wait. The flat side "down"? Do you mean the flat side should be "up" when the cap is on?

That's how i do it. Flat side does into the groove on the lid and not against the flat side of the body of the conical. The flat side gets wedged into the groove and it hangs on as you flip the lid over

That's how i do it. Flat side does into the groove on the lid and not against the flat side of the body of the conical. The flat side gets wedged into the groove and it hangs on as you flip the lid over

That might explain why mine keep falling out.

The C15 presale is open. Says it launches 10/18. I placed my order :ban:

Interesting. I placed an order for two on 9/29. It didn't mention anything about a presale (now the website says presale). I was expecting them this week. What does presale mean?

Interesting. I placed an order for two on 9/29. It didn't mention anything about a presale (now the website says presale). I was expecting them this week. What does presale mean?

You may not have seen it but it did say presale. That was the first day. You will get your conical next week (they said 2 week lead for presales)

I actually took a webshot of the page when I ordered them and just looked at it. It 100% does not say presale. I hope they are good quality. I am worried about the growing pains of Spike.

I actually took a webshot of the page when I ordered them and just looked at it. It 100% does not say presale. I hope they are good quality. I am worried about the growing pains of Spike.

The growing pains were the missed launch dates (approximately a year of them if I remember correctly). The conicals themselves are tip top and well thought out. The design doesn't appear or function like it was rushed. Quality is there.

The growing pains were the missed launch dates (approximately a year of them if I remember correctly). The conicals themselves are tip top and well thought out. The design doesn't appear or function like it was rushed. Quality is there.

That sounds good. Have you seen them in person?

I hope the neoprene jacket is sold as a separate item. Right now it looks like it's only available in a package.

I hope the neoprene jacket is sold as a separate item. Right now it looks like it's only available in a package.

right there with you. I asked and was told every piece will be available piece meal. If memory serves they said $80-100 for the jacket

Has anybody seen both the Spike and the SSBT Unitank. Unitank has raised a few concerns about weld quality from what I can see on FB. Just wondering if anybody has seen both. I need to make a decision on which to buy.

Has anybody seen both the Spike and the SSBT Unitank. Unitank has raised a few concerns about weld quality from what I can see on FB. Just wondering if anybody has seen both. I need to make a decision on which to buy.

Not both. But you are welcome to come see my two spikes
I live near 896 and 95

I can tell you the welds on spike products are a work of art. Even my friend that is a professional sanitary welder said they are some of the prettiest welds he has seen. Personally spike has my business indefinitely.

+1 for the spike. Bought the CF10 a few months ago. Can't impress upon you how much I love this thing. I am expecting my CF15 any day now. Weld quality is tip top (no undercutting) I didn't go with the Ssbrewtech unitank because I would be paying for accessories I didn't want. My brew house is Ssbrewtech and honestly I wasn't super impressed with their quality.

On the Spike, I like the idea of being able to pull the lid off for easy access and inspection. Access seems more challenging with the SS unitank. Does the lid seal reliably?

+1 for the spike. Bought the CF10 a few months ago. Can't impress upon you how much I love this thing. I am expecting my CF15 any day now. Weld quality is tip top (no undercutting) I didn't go with the Ssbrewtech unitank because I would be paying for accessories I didn't want. My brew house is Ssbrewtech and honestly I wasn't super impressed with their quality.

On the Spike, I like the idea of being able to pull the lid off for easy access and inspection. Access seems more challenging with the SS unitank. Does the lid seal reliably?

As long as you get it on straight and the is no schmutz on the rim. It has never leaked on me. The gasket is pretty robust.

Has anyone that pre-ordered a CF15 had it ship yet? Literally had mine paid for in the first minute of the pre-sale and can barely get them to respond as to why it hasn't shipped yet. (they stated shipping would be within 2 weeks of the 9/29 pre-sale date. At this point I love my CF10 but I don't know why I am surprised they missed another promised deadline.

Has anyone that pre-ordered a CF15 had it ship yet? Literally had mine paid for in the first minute of the pre-sale and can barely get them to respond as to why it hasn't shipped yet. (they stated shipping would be within 2 weeks of the 9/29 pre-sale date. At this point I love my CF10 but I don't know why I am surprised they missed another promised deadline.

Sorry about the delay! We've been all hands on deck trying to get all the pre-sale orders out. The customer service folks are lending a hand in the shop and probably won't get back until after hours. We are waiting for our temp control coils to come in and it looks like that is what is holding up your order. It sounds like supply chain and production made the call to ship the units without the coil and will ship when they arrive to prevent further delay. You should receive an email later today from customer service updating you.

Sorry about the delay! We've been all hands on deck trying to get all the pre-sale orders out. The customer service folks are lending a hand in the shop and probably won't get back until after hours. We are waiting for our temp control coils to come in and it looks like that is what is holding up your order. It sounds like supply chain and production made the call to ship the units without the coil and will ship when they arrive to prevent further delay. You should receive an email later today from customer service updating you.

Bummer I was going to put a beer in it Saturday, but without a temp coil....hmmm

Thanks for the update. Now if you would just release your jackets and heaters

Yeah, what about those neoprene jackets? I've been waiting on that to use my CF10. I see a lot of excitement on Spike's photo stream about their new facilities, but let's get that jacket out the door!

Yeah, what about those neoprene jackets? I've been waiting on that to use my CF10. I see a lot of excitement on Spike's photo stream about their new facilities, but let's get that jacket out the door!

I couldn’t wait so i wrapped mine in reflectix. I think it looks pretty good and probably won’t get the neoprene. It took about an hour to make each one.
View attachment IMG_1188.jpg

The longer they take the more this is an option.

They contacted me after my last post and made everything right though.

It wasn't too bad to make with reflectix. I used paper to make a template of the cone section and do the cutouts for the TC ports. It took a few pieces of overlapping paper to make it manageable. I then traced the template on to a piece of reflectix...and trimmed it to stop where the conical went straight vertical. I used foil tape (in the AC section of home depot) to hold things in place and at any joints. Then I put reflectix around the body of the conical....again trimming around the TC ports. I also removed my handles...as I don't move mine.

Hope this helps someone.

The jacket material is on order. We are finalizing designs with our local manufacturer as well as wrapping up testing with outside labs. We understand it can be frustrating waiting for new products however it is our company goal to produce the highest quality products you can buy. Unfortunately this takes time to develop and test to get to our high quality standard. We release new product details well in advance so people know what's on the horizon and can start saving, planning, etc. If this causes more harm than good we might need to re-look at that strategy.

Latest posts

Back