Spike... I need a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidAtlanticBrew

Reaction score
C'mon Spike Brewing..... i need to make a call .. in desparate need of a 15 to 18 gallon conical and I'm awaiting your offfering

.. what do others think? anyone else in the same boat?

I've been waiting to see what they come up with as well. I like the price of the moonshine distillers conical.

To me they look different than blichmann. I am sure the are Chinese in origin. Price point is good for all triclamp.

Pre-production samples should be arriving in the next week or so. They will be tested by us and a few other selected brewers. Once they are qualified production will begin. We are as anxious to get them out as you guys are to ferment in them!

Our prayers have been answered!! :mug:

Pre-production samples should be arriving in the next week or so. They will be tested by us and a few other selected brewers. Once they are qualified production will begin. We are as anxious to get them out as you guys are to ferment in them!

Just looked at your site, look great and a good price point as well. What's the lid clamping system like /// pressure capabilities?

Wish they were available in 25-30 gallon ranges.. look to be amazing for the price and I love my spike kettles

I've been waiting to see what they come up with as well. I like the price of the moonshine distillers conical.

? they were selling the same ones stout sells last time I checked... completely identical. looks like they are similar now but definitely different.

Just looked at your site, look great and a good price point as well. What's the lid clamping system like /// pressure capabilities?

The clamping system will use one large clamp. It will have an over center latch and should be very easy to seal it up tight. We are still waiting for a few more sample parts to come in so we can get final specs but we designed for it to handle more than just pressure transfers.

? they were selling the same ones stout sells last time I checked... completely identical. looks like they are similar now but definitely different.

This is incorrect. Our v1 conical was made locally and is completely independent from any thing Stout is/was selling.

The clamping system will use one large clamp. It will have an over center latch and should be very easy to seal it up tight. We are still waiting for a few more sample parts to come in so we can get final specs but we designed for it to handle more than just pressure transfers.

This is incorrect. Our v1 conical was made locally and is completely independent from any thing Stout is/was selling.

I was commenting on the moonshine distillers product that was quoted, sorry.

I know your old conicals were made by toledo metal spinning (same guys than make the blichmann conicals.) American home brewer used to distribute the same conicals as you until he switched to a different chinese supplier who made clones of the product.

Are you new conicals still going to be made locally or is it going to be a joint venture thing like your kettles where the base comes from overseas and final fabrication is done locally?

The new conical base will be made to our specs, design and tooling overseas. The welded ports will be done in house just like our brewing tanks.

Any chance of this being in my stocking for xmas? Wife was asking what I wanted the other day

Any chance of this being in my stocking for xmas? Wife was asking what I wanted the other day

We wish :( Just got word the production samples shipped this morning. There is just no way to test them and get them made in time. We'd rather have them made correctly then rush them out to make some money during Christmas.

We'd rather have them made correctly then rush them out to make some money during Christmas.

While i am not in the market for this product, I would like to point out that any business whom makes the above statement, IS the one you want to do business with. Good ethics are hard to find in businesses these days and the quote above proves that Spike has it.

(I am in no way afilliated with Spike Brewing nor did they pay me or give me beer for my statement.....allthough they SHOULD send me some beer...wink-wink, nudge-nudge)

We wish :( Just got word the production samples shipped this morning. There is just no way to test them and get them made in time. We'd rather have them made correctly then rush them out to make some money during Christmas.

Damn slow boat from China

While i am not in the market for this product, I would like to point out that any business whom makes the above statement, IS the one you want to do business with. Good ethics are hard to find in businesses these days and the quote above proves that Spike has it.

(I am in no way afilliated with Spike Brewing nor did they pay me or give me beer for my statement.....allthough they SHOULD send me some beer...wink-wink, nudge-nudge)

its why im waiting to see how they look / pricing etc.

I'm sure I missed it in the other big thread, but can you share the pressure rating you are targeting? Will this conical be spund-able? To say... 10-15 psi?

Damn slow boat from China

It's looking like the US made parts are going to be the hold up unfortunately! We have air expressed all parts coming from overseas to expedited (read: $$$$) lol

I'm sure I missed it in the other big thread, but can you share the pressure rating you are targeting? Will this conical be spund-able? To say... 10-15 psi?

Yes and no. Details to come.....

@spikebrewing

@SpikeBrewing

Do you have handy the wort volumes for the different ports? i.e. the racking port, thermometer port, sampling port.

I primarily do 6 and 11 gallon batches into the fermenter. and figured the 14 G would cover both of these needs. Also if you are building a submersible chilling coil through the 4" T.C. port would it be long enough for the smaller batches (6g)?

yes, and better cooling for crash the deeper it reaches. The bottom of the cone volume tends to be a bit warmer on the Chronicals based on my temperature check from the dump valve. ~45F vs 38F set point in the couple of batche I've measured

@SpikeBrewing

Do you have handy the wort volumes for the different ports? i.e. the racking port, thermometer port, sampling port.

I primarily do 6 and 11 gallon batches into the fermenter. and figured the 14 G would cover both of these needs. Also if you are building a submersible chilling coil through the 4" T.C. port would it be long enough for the smaller batches (6g)?

Any updates on the Spike conicals? I just came into a little money and finally want to pull the trigger on a conical. The website says summer 2017. Just wondering if this is accurate. I can definitely wait a couple more months if that's the case.

They Mohave said they were coming for a long time now.I went ahead and ordered a SS Brewtech.I love how spikes look though

The current word is late this month is a limited pre order for sure. delivery in May. They have been really quiet recently because of the backlash of making promises on previous dates and not being able to deliver. Hopefully. Along with more that they are keeping secret at this time because of previously stated reasons

I too was waiting for spike but about 6 months ago I went with the SS Brewtech BME and it's awesome, I highly recommend it if you don't want to wait.

Any updates on the Spike conicals? I just came into a little money and finally want to pull the trigger on a conical. The website says summer 2017. Just wondering if this is accurate. I can definitely wait a couple more months if that's the case.

The 14g will be out very shortly; weeks not months.

The current word is late this month is a limited pre order for sure. delivery in May. They have been really quiet recently because of the backlash of making promises on previous dates and not being able to deliver. Hopefully. Along with more that they are keeping secret at this time because of previously stated reasons

Pretty much this. This is the biggest project that our company has ever taken on. It has been delayed at every turn; our in house engineering, out of house engineering, US manufacturing, overseas manufacturing, etc. We are redesigning the whole conical conical line but releasing one size at a time to keep everything manageable. Our intention was to make this as modular as possible; one racking arm for all sizes, one type of caster, one blow off cane, etc. This means all parts are interchangeable between the entire line (cost savings to you). However as we kept developing and testing new awesome ideas would pop up and the project would be delayed. We apologize for the lack of communication but it's all hands on deck for this project. I think this project is sourcing from something like 7 vendors in 3 countries! There's nothing that we can do other than fall on our sword and beg forgiveness!

The one thing we can say is that conical will be far and away the best, most thought out, complete unit available. We have a ton of awesome accessories launching with the conical right away (most of which are made in the US) and we have a few more awesome accessories we'll be launching soon after that. It's going to be a fun year for the Spike fans out there!

In the same boat. I've thought about caving in and going with SS many times. I couldn't get over the price point for the SS with weldless on the cold side. At this point, I'm going to wait it out.

Ben, for those of us who are toughing it out and waiting it would be great if we could at least get the exterior dimensions of the new model for planning. I feel like that must be locked in at this point.

Same here, been patiently waiting. I have also thought about going with SS Brewtech but the weldless just doesn't seem right. Is there a time when pre-ordering will be available and how many are allowed to pre-order?

I have been saving for a conical and once I heard that Spike was doing one and say their earlier designs I knew that was what i wanted.

Same here, been patiently waiting. I have also thought about going with SS Brewtech but the weldless just doesn't seem right. Is there a time when pre-ordering will be available and how many are allowed to pre-order?

I have been saving for a conical and once I heard that Spike was doing one and say their earlier designs I knew that was what i wanted.

To be fair the conical spike used to sell was sold by a couple different retailers including "American homebrewer" who no longer sells them. It was made in the states completely by toledo metal spinning, the guys that make the conicals for blichmann too. They were pricey but nice... I have a chinese made knockoff of the older spike version I bought from american homebrewer after he stopped selling the toledo made ones like spike sold. Even that works pretty well with the sealing design of the top.

I have a feeling these new conicals will likely top the old design due to the amount of time being taken to get them right before release. (and the fact that spike is actually doing some of the manufacturing on these)

I have a feeling that these will be top notch conical also, I had seen that their original version was posted on a couple of sellers but no inventory. It was great seeing the videos on Facebook about the conical, it really helped make a choice on picking Spike over Stout and SS.

It would be nice to see the accessories also, I know they had their chiller coil in one of the videos and also the CIP spray ball. I think they also said that it would work with stock March or Chugger pumps but haven't really heard too many more details.

As the picture states in post 22 "Shut up and take my money," I normally don't like buy job 1 runs but I think I am going to make an exception for this one.

I'll end up getting another brand, but I needed a conical now and went with the blichmann 14.5.
I know I'll need another plus a 20gal mashtun; Spike Brewing will get those sales. I love my v3 brew kettle from them. such quality .

Any updates on the new conicals, Spike?

I was emailing them on their kettles and asked about the conicals. They said they should be receiving them in a few weeks.

They have kinda been saying that for a long time.Hope they start taking orders soon , lotsa folks here are interested.I just got tired of waiting and went with Brewtech.Although those spikes look really nice.

Kinda disappointed in how long its taking to roll out.. seems like ssbrewtech has something new and awesome rolling out every other week.. this week they rolled out their nano stuff that looks bad ass.. I love my spike kettles and really want their fermenter but I donno about waiting probably another year for the 1bbl to come out when ss just released theirs fully decked out..

Back