Spike CF5 - Safe to remove blowoff after primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmeador

Reaction score
I recently bought a Spike CF5 (conical fermenter) and have my second beer in it now. Primary fermentation has been done for over a week, and I’m wondering if it would be safe to remove the blowoff cane and attach the CO2 manifold in its place until I eventually transfer to a keg.

I would think it would be fine since fermentation is done so there should not be any significant CO2 produced, the manifold has a 15 PSI release valve, and there should be no risk of krausen clogging the relief valve.

I have a bourbon barrel porter in the fermenter now and am at the point where I need to take small samples to taste regularly to make sure the oak doesn’t become too overwhelming, and I hate to continue swapping the blowoff cane and CO2 manifold back and forth and exposing the beer to bacteria and O2.

That is exactly what I do. Never had an issue of krausen clogging it . Krausen got close once but never reached the height of the valve. Usually day 7 is when I switch to the pressure valve .

Good to hear! I’ll plan to just leave the manifold on the next time I pull a tasting sample.

Back