Spicy hop recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
I tend to prefer the 'spicy' and 'herbal' hops. I use way less of the floral/citrus hops. I think I've used at least twice as much Hallertau/Hersbruck/Willamette/Styrian Goldings as the Centennial and Sorachi Ace in my freezer. Recently tried Saphir but it's not as 'noble' as I expected. I recently bought some Tettnanger (GR) and Liberty but have not tasted the final beers yet.

Looking for suggestions on other spicy hops that I might like. Seems the domestic stuff is often more flowery/citrusy than I like (it's the citrusy note that I don't like most). Most of my beers are English and German styles.

Hops Direct has the following description for Mt. Hood aroma: mild, somewhat pungent. wat? Which is it, mild or pungent? How it can be both? And what is the character of that mildness...or pungency?

Thanks for any suggestions. I can actually see the back wall of the freezer in one little spot...so that means I must need more hops.:p

Hops Direct has the following description for Mt. Hood aroma: mild, somewhat pungent. wat? Which is it, mild or pungent? How it can be both? And what is the character of that mildness...or pungency?

Yeah, I hate those kind of descriptions, essentially useless if you are trying to pick out a new hop.

When someone says spicy hop I think Saaz. Sterling is supposed to be a lot like Saaz.

I really like Sterling. Mt. Rainier is tasting good to me as well. Liberty I like in light colored beers and Vanguard in dark ales. Argentine Cascades can add some nice spice used in moderation. I have some Mt. Hood but not made anything that gave me a good taste of them yet (seem about like Mt. Rainier and Liberty to me.) If you want something really noble how about Spalt?

I have heard lots of good things about Sterling recently. I tried what I thought was a little in an O-fest - I definitely perceived the spice from them and had to let the beer mellow for a bit longer than I had thought only for the fact that it was a hoppy O-fest! I really liked the hop character it gave though - will definitely need to try it in something more akin to copious hopping.

Another plug for Sterling here. I also tend to prefer the spicy and herbal hops to the more fruity West coast varieties. My favorite Pale Ale recipe is built around Sterling and Willamette hops. I think they combine very well.

I LOVE spicy noble hops! I just don't enjoy most American varieties as much. :D

The few you missed are Saaz, Tettnanger & Fuggles (well, more floral, but def not citrus)
Although there are probably more, but those come to mind and can be used in a myriad of recipe types.

I wouldn't call Mt. Hood spicy, but it is a Hallertauer-cross and retains many of the characteristics.

+1 on Sterling. I find Spalt to be spicy too. Liberty in my hands gives me a bit of floral notes, so I've decided to not use it in Lagers, and use it in Belgian and other ales. I'm curious to hear what you think of Liberty.

Back