Spicing Apple wine in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkenbergcn

Reaction score
I have got some apple wine that I need to bottle and I am wanting to spice a couple of bottles of it for Thanksgiving/Christmas. Has anyone ever added any spices directly into the bottle before corking? I was thinking along the lines of adding a stick or two of cinnamon, some nutmeg, all spice, and etc. , but I am not sure where to start and what to add. Thanks.

You know, I think I'd spice it when serving. Hot spiced wine is one of life's true pleasures. If you want to create spiced wine that's spiced in the bottle I'd add the spices in the primary fermentation. (See Disturbed Chemist's awesome Texas Twang recipe for an example). But a couple of cloves and allspice corns, a cinnamon stick, hot apple wine... Well, give me a call and I'll be more than happy to taste test for you!!! :)

I did add some cinnamon sticks during fermentation, but I can't taste any hint of it at all. I guess I didn't add enough. Maybe I'll throw a bottle in the crock pot and then add some spices until I like it. Sort of like a mulled wine. :)

I've found that the best time to add spices to apple wine is while it is bulk ageing. Go easy on the cloves, they can be over powering if too much is added. I usually use 3 cinnamon sticks and 1 or 2 cloves in 3 gallons. After bulk ageing for a month or 2, sample a little and if the spice is not the way you want it, add a little more of what ever you think is lacking.
LJ

Back