Speidel fermenter thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copbrew133

Reaction score
I know some folks use thermowells and some don't, however I like using them and recently bought a 15 gallonish Speidel plastic fermenter after realizing that if I blew hundreds on the stainless conical my wife was probably going to cause me to have an "accident". So, being tired of splitting batches, I bought this and wanted a thermowell. The longest I could find was the 12" from Brewers Hardware which I would have use except they are backordered. I was able to find this at Automation Direct for $28 plus shipping. It's stainless and 560 mm long (about 22"). This and a 1/2" SS nut and gasket from Bobby at Brewhardware and it's ready to go. I wanted to post in case another Speidel owner wanted to install a well into theirs.

IMG_0319[1].jpg

IMG_0321[1].jpg

IMG_0320[1].jpg

IMG_0322[1].jpg

Copbrew, this is exactly what I have been looking for!! I have been trying to decide the best method for installing a a thermowell in my 60L Speidel. Would you happen to know the part number of the thermowell you purchased? Thanks in advance.

I use one of the plastic carboy caps, a length of stainless tubing and a compression end cap. No cutting into the lid that way

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How far down into the beer does the 22" thermowell extend? I can get a 24" version or 22" version from BrewersHardware.com and want to get the one that would work best. Thanks!

I used a weldless thermowell for my 15 gallon Speidel as well. I bought the one from Williams Brewing (The 3" stainless) and put it to the right of the spigot. Has worked perfectly with no leaks for over a year. I have 2 15.5 gallon Speidels set up this way with no issues.

I used a weldless thermowell for my 15 gallon Speidel as well. I bought the one from Williams Brewing (The 3" stainless) and put it to the right of the spigot. Has worked perfectly with no leaks for over a year. I have 2 15.5 gallon Speidels set up this way with no issues.

Any chance you could throw up some pics?? I would be interested to see it.

Here are two recent pics. One of the front showing the thermowell next to the spigot and another of the inside so you can see how far it goes into it. So far, they have been working perfectly. No issues with leaking or with cleaning them out.

Perfect! Thanks so much for the pics....I've been wondering if people have done this. Guess I'll be ordering one of these in the near future! Did you need to use any extra sealant? Or were the gaskets that come with the thermowell enough to prevent leaks?

Perfect! Thanks so much for the pics....I've been wondering if people have done this. Guess I'll be ordering one of these in the near future! Did you need to use any extra sealant? Or were the gaskets that come with the thermowell enough to prevent leaks?

Didn't have to do anything additional. Just drilled a hole big enough to thread the thermowell into it and tightened it down. I've removed it for cleaning with no issues as well. Seals up tight and clean.

Didn't have to do anything additional. Just drilled a hole big enough to thread the thermowell into it and tightened it down. I've removed it for cleaning with no issues as well. Seals up tight and clean.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I just did the same install and am very happy with it. This will be a must-do for all future Speidel fermenters I buy. It only took about 10 minutes or so, very simple.

FYI - Anyone looking to do this modification in the future, I picked up my thermowell from Adventures in Homebrewing, and it looks to be identical to the one that William's has for about 1/2 the price.

For mine I always give them a fresh injection of diaper rash cream (cheap thermal paste) before use, and then I insert the thermal probe from my STC-1000.

I am thinking of getting the thermowell you got from aih. Is it still performing well with no leaks? My biggest concern is if it leaks than the fermentor is basically ruined. I have the rancho digital thermometer I want to use with the thermowell. I am currently taping the pride to the outside of the carboy.

I am thinking of getting the thermowell you got from aih. Is it still performing well with no leaks? My biggest concern is if it leaks than the fermentor is basically ruined. I have the rancho digital thermometer I want to use with the thermowell. I am currently taping the pride to the outside of the carboy.

Hey there, yeah, I've got 3 of these installed in Speidel fermenters, and I've not had any issues at all. In fact I've got 2 more waiting to be installed in my last 2 Speidels, I've just not had the time to install them yet.

I would just caution you to go slow and start with the smallest drill bit you have and then work your way up to the size you need. As you start getting close, try to screw the thermowell in from inside the fermenter. Eventually it will almost thread itself in, and then the washers do a great job of sealing everything up. You want to tighten everything really well, but don't over tighten to the point that you are squishing the washers out of shape, otherwise they won't really be covering the hole any longer.

When you're all done give it a good leak test by filling the fermenter to the top with water, place a paper towel under the fermenter under the spot where you installed the thermowell, and then let it sit for a few hours. If you come back and the paper towel is damp at all, just tighten it up a bit more and try again.

Hey there, yeah, I've got 3 of these installed in Speidel fermenters, and I've not had any issues at all. In fact I've got 2 more waiting to be installed in my last 2 Speidels, I've just not had the time to install them yet.

I would just caution you to go slow and start with the smallest drill bit you have and then work your way up to the size you need. As you start getting close, try to screw the thermowell in from inside the fermenter. Eventually it will almost thread itself in, and then the washers do a great job of sealing everything up. You want to tighten everything really well, but don't over tighten to the point that you are squishing the washers out of shape, otherwise they won't really be covering the hole any longer.

When you're all done give it a good leak test by filling the fermenter to the top with water, place a paper towel under the fermenter under the spot where you installed the thermowell, and then let it sit for a few hours. If you come back and the paper towel is damp at all, just tighten it up a bit more and try again.

Thx a lot! I pulled the trigger night.

Hey hoppypoppy, just wondering how this worked out for you in your Speidel and with the Ranco probe. I'm contemplating a similar setup and was curious if it all worked like you had planned.

It seems they caught on that home brewer were using them... They increased the price over 50% from $22 to $36 plus shipping since last year :( I'll continue to make my own with stainless tubing and the end capped off with a dab of jb weld (which is foodsafe). they cost about $5 to make and stick into a rubber stopper which I drill two holes in, one for the airlock and one for the probe.

I'm thinking of using this one:

https://www.brewershardware.com/6-Weldless-Thermowell.html

I just wonder if not having a nut to tighten from inside might cause a leak.

Hey, that looks like a good option and pretty similar to the one I use from AiH that I linked earlier.

I like the face sealing o-ring aspect of it. The ones from AiH don't have a nut that you tighten from the inside either, but are pretty similar to the ones you linked. It's basically got a nut welded on that you use a wrench to hold the thermowell while you tighten down the nut from the outside. At least as far as I remember anyway, it's been a while since I installed mine ;) I can double check when I get home tonight.

Sorry if this question is too late for this thread... does anyone who put a weldless thermowell into a speidel do pressure transfers? I've seen a few examples on the forum of thermowells through the lid, through the cap, through the wall. Someone who did it through the top cap mentioned they changed caps to do pressure transfers, and I was curious if anyone will a more "permanent" mod (through main lid or wall) is doing pressure transfers. I just got mine and don't want to drill until I have a bit more info! Thanks!

I do pressure transfers with mine. I just take out the airlock and stick the co2 hose into the bung. I use a silicone hose with a stainless prong. For the out, I use a silicone tube fitted with a corny keg output attached to the speidel spigot.
I set my speidel up on a table next to my keezer, and just use a slight amount of pressure to start the transfer, and intermittently when it slows down. Gravity takes care of most of the work. Then I don't have to lift the full keg into the keezer.
Works great.

Resurrecting older thread to ask related question... I have a 30L Speidel fermenter and purchased the SS Brew Tech weldless thermowell.

Before drilling the hole for thermowell, wondering where you guys are installing with leak-free success? There are no flat surfaces on the 30L. I am thinking it could be centered on the raised "barrel strap" just above the spigot.

Any pics of successful install on the 30L would be appreciated!

Resurrecting older thread to ask related question... I have a 30L Speidel fermenter and purchased the SS Brew Tech weldless thermowell.

Before drilling the hole for thermowell, wondering where you guys are installing with leak-free success? There are no flat surfaces on the 30L. I am thinking it could be centered on the raised "barrel strap" just above the spigot.

Any pics of successful install on the 30L would be appreciated!

Check out my post and pics here!

I had some troubles with the o-rings that come with the SS thermowell, but once I swapped those out I had no problems.

Latest posts

Back