Specific gravity with fruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomashek

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here so any help would be greatly appreciated! 👍I was considering making a 5 gallon batch of blackberry melomel/mead but was wondering how you would go about accurately measuring the specific gravity while the fruit is in. Wouldn't there be a higher sugar content than what a hydrometer would read? (Say your liquid reads 1.10, wouldn't the berries break down, releasing sugar to raise it gradually to a higher gravity?)

From what I've read the fruit additions are negligible for gravity change due to the fact that the fruit also contains water and the sugars + water in the fruit essentially balance each other out.

I haven't been adjusting my OG when doing fruit additions in my meads.

Others might have different opinions though

I don't know how accurate it is but the brewersfriend recipe calculator has fruit in the fermentable drop down list. honey too. I've formulated Mead & wine recipes that way but it was just for an approximation of og.

Back