Sparge Ring Attachment for MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normis

Reaction score
All - I use a 15 gal kettle as a MLT. I want to use a copper sparge ring, but need to be able to adjust its height for varying grain bed depths. My first thought was to solder an upright to it, and simply lay a bar clamp across the top of the HLT, clamp the upright into the end and adjust height as necessary, but I've spent a lot of time on fabricating my system, so that seems a little too ghetto, even for me.

Question is, is there an adjustable clamp or some better method I can use to attach my sparge ring to the HLT, other than simply laying something across the top of the HLT and attaching the upright to that?

Thanks,

Norm

So you want to make a sparge arm adjustable in the Z axis without looking ghetto...

Go to hardware store and maybe look for a plastic plumbing collet which you might cut to size and press into the hole around the pipe. This would effectively pinch the pipe and keep it from slipping (easily).

Or maybe get a conduit or ground rod clamp. Use the screws on the outside to get the size about right for the pipe, and the center screw to lock the pipe in place.

The sparge arm would be able to be lifted up, unless you also placed same device under the lid.

Oops, just figured out what to call the clamp I was trying to remember:

McMaster-Carr

1511kp1l@135.gif

What kind of lid do you have? I'm thinking something like a coupling attached to the lid with a tapped hole and set screw (with handy knob) would be good. I like the clamp shown above as a basic stop, but it won't give you lateral support unless it's secured to the lid.

Edit.. ok, if you're using a lid (which I think you should), just get a compression fitting for the tube size you're using. Drill a hole in the lid big enough for the NPT end and get a brass locknut for the underside. If you use 1/2" OD tubing, the 1/2" NPT version should work. You'll have to drill out the stop in the fitting so that it can pass all the way through. Replace the metal ferrule with two O-rings.

You might also look at cable grips in the electrical isle of Lowes for a similar thing in plastic.

Thanks guys.

Bobby - I have a SS lid, but I'm hesitant to drill a hole in it, since it needs to cover the MT when I'm mashing, and I don't want the heat loss. Does this make any sense?

You can just leave your sparge ring installed during the mash. After all that though, a lot of brewers just use a hose that sit on top of the grainbed and delivers water in a gentle swirling motion. That's how the Blichmann MLT is setup. Actually, it's connected to a float valve, pretty slick!

Back