Sparge Arm options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple options for fly sparging in a 10gal drink cooler (home depot)

Option A: 12" shower head
Option B: Fountain Nozzle
Option C: Spiral Nozzle

Any thoughts? I kind of like the idea of the shower head, it's 12" so it will fit inside of the cooler quite nicely while attached to the lid and should evenly distribute the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I think I'll give that a shot. I wish it was stainless steel and came in 1/2" but I think it'll work just fine. If $ weren't a concern I'd grab one of these to try out Bottle-, Drum-, and Tank-Washing Nozzle 32225K31.

32225kp1l.png

Just an FYI, I use the siphon sprayer on my HERMS system.

I recirc during the entire mash, then use it to fly sparge when it's time to run off to the boil kettle. I have a section of 1/2" copper pipe that runs through a hole in the lid of the mash tun. On the end of the copper tubing I've soldered a 1/2" copper to 1/2" PEX nipple. The siphon sprayer attaches to the nipple with a 2" piece of 1/2" silicone tubing.

I'd suggest option D, siphon sprayer http://www.morebeer.com/products/siphon-spray-wort-aerator.html?gclid=CLy-nebjxccCFQ-raQodQuwGFg

If you ever decided to do a RIMS/HERMS setup, both A and B will clog with bits of grain and husks. You'll never be running option C at a high enough flow rate that you'll really be able to take advantage of the spray pattern.

I've tried one of those spray aerators, and you never get high enough flow rate to get any kind of distribution when fly sparging, and maybe too much when recirculating for RIMS as it foams up.

The best bet IME is to simply lay the inlet hose on the surface of the grain bed and keep an inch of water on top the grain bed until you run out of sparge water. Now I'm using Bobby_M's loc-line for the job, installed through the side of my tun for recirculation and sparging, but a simple hose is good enough for just the sparge.

Of the options in the OP, only the shower head might work as far as I can see, you just can't rely on any pressure to do the distribution when fly sparging, because you are only running at around 0.1-0.2 gpm or so.

I've tried one of those spray aerators, and you never get high enough flow rate to get any kind of distribution when fly sparging, and maybe too much when recirculating for RIMS as it foams up.

I don't use a high flow rate for fly sparging, I use a very low rate and maintain about an inch or so of liquid on top of the grain bed. The siphon sprayer just delivers the sparge water gently so as not to disturb the grain bed. Same during the mash, flow is low and slow so to set the grain bed without compacting it.

I'm about at the end of my rope with the idea that sparging requires sprinkling, dripping, spraying or any other kind of pattern.

True, but I think it can depend on the setup. For example, the way I did mine, the return is coming vertically into the mash tun through the lid. The siphon sprayer redirects the flow from vertical to horizontal so it doesn't create a channel in the grain bed. So I really don't care about any kind of pattern, I just don't want it to create a channel in the grain bed. But I agree, it isn't really necessary. The method of laying the silicone hose on top of the grain bed should work just as well. It's essentially doing the same thing...eliminating a vertical stream directly into the grain bed.

I'm about at the end of my rope with the idea that sparging requires sprinkling, dripping, spraying or any other kind of pattern.

Does it just matter that it doesn't disturb the grain bed to prevent channeling?

Back