Spalt hops really 1.5% alpha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamreef

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought some Spalt hops today with the intent of using them in a kolsch. They are labeled as being 1.5% alpha, but I find that hard to believe and am assuming that it is a misprint.

Has anyone bought any spalt hops recently? What was the alpha? I am assuming they are from the 2011 crop.

Thanks!

Adam

Where did you buy them from? Maybe shoot them a call to see what they say about it. I've never seen any below the low 3% range.

Not sure about Spalt, but I use French Strisselspalt quite a bit. They are often under 3%. My last pound was 2.5% AA.

I think I just used some in a brew a few months ago. I belive the alpha was around 3% just as the above poster said. It could be possible to be only 1.5 though i'd probably go with whats on the package, the hop supplier would know more about their hops than anyone else.

Not sure about Spalt, but I use French Strisselspalt quite a bit. They are often under 3%. My last pound was 2.5% AA.

The last Strisselspalt I used were 2%. I also noticed that Styrian Goldings are very low this year. Something like 2.6 Vs the normal 4.5 .

The down side of this is having to use more hops to get the IBU's needed for a recipe.

Sorry to hijack, but may I ask in what beers you're typically using Strisselspalt? I really like them, but don't see them used often. I use them in Saison, Kolsch, and Altbier (bittering with Magnum).

The last Strisselspalt I used were 2%. I also noticed that Styrian Goldings are very low this year. Something like 2.6 Vs the normal 4.5 .

The down side of this is having to use more hops to get the IBU's needed for a recipe.

Thanks all,

The hops I bought were repackaged by the retailer. If others have gotten them in this range, I'll trust it.

In any case, I will use them as a later addition and bitter with something else for economy's sake. I don't want to have to use 3/4 pounds of hops!

Thanks!

Adam

Thanks all,

The hops I bought were repackaged by the retailer. If others have gotten them in this range, I'll trust it.

In any case, I will use them as a later addition and bitter with something else for economy's sake. I don't want to have to use 3/4 pounds of hops!

Thanks!

Adam

Magnum is always a good bittering hop to keep around.

Latest posts

Back